Wrongly spelled words topic is one of the basic topics that every Banking job aspirant should be aware of. A minimum of 2 to 3 questions will be asked from this topic in every Banking examination. As the topic is a scoring topic which is based on vocabulary skills, the aspirants should not make any mistakes in finding the correct answers. Otherwise, they will lose their score. So, candidates should be well aware while solving this topic.
Grammar / Context Based
Directions (Q.NO. 1 - 10): In each question given below, four words (A), (B), (C) and (D) are printed in bold letters. One of these words printed in bold might either be wrongly spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentence. Find out the word that is inappropriate or wrongly spelt, if any. If all the words printed in bold are correctly spelt and appropriate in the context of the sentence then mark (E), i.e. 'All words are Correct', as your answer.
1. The Prime Minister of India, expressing (A) grief and anguish (B) over the stamped (C), said that he was deeply pained by the tragic (D) accident at Badrinath temple. All words are correct (E).
Explanation: The usage of the word 'stamped' in the sentence is not appropriate as it is describing a tragic accident. 'stampede', which means 'to run away uncontrollably in a large group of people/animals from something especially because of fear' is the correct usage as per context of the sentence.
2. Social media allows reaffirmation (A) of prejudices and stereotypes (B) they have about others. This is exacerbeted (C) by meeting like-minded people online, giving them a sense of community (D). All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Exacerbated' is the correct spelling. The word exacerbate is used to describe when a bad situation became even worse
3. Security differences (A) between the United States and Russia over expension (B) of NATO in nations which were earlier buffer zones (C) are unlikely to beresolved (D) soon. All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Expansion' is the correct spelling. The word expansion denotes the action of becoming larger or more extensive (of something).
4. The refusal (A) of Padma awards (B) by three awardees (C) from Bengal is undoubtedly highly embarrasing (D) for the Union government. All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Embarrassing' is the correct spelling. Embarrasing means 'making you feel nervous, ashamed, or stupid' by doing something crazy.
5. The Kerala government proposes (A) to amend (B) the Kerala Lok Ayukta Act with an ordinance (C), a move that has drawn criticisam (D) from the opposition. All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Criticism' is the correct spelling. Criticism is an expression of disapproval of someone or something on the basis of perceived faults or mistakes.
6. Elevating (A) India to a higher economic orbit would involve a recaliberation (B) of its assumptions, taken for granted (C) in the last three decades of reform (D). All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Recalibration' is the correct spelling. Recalibration means to reexamine (one's thinking, a plan, a system of values, etc.) and correct it in accord with a new understanding or purpose.
7. Even in a communally-Polarised (A) constituency, what matters is local issues (B) of access to public services (C) and amenties (D). All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Amenities' is the correct spelling. Amenity is something that helps to provide comfort, convenience, or enjoyment to the public.
8. The Economic Survey has evolved (A) into a valuable document and, in recent years, has often presaged (B) the contors (C) and strategy of the Union budget (D). All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Contours' is the correct spelling. Contour is an outline representing or bounding the shape or form of something.
9. The significent (A) upturn in road construction in 2020-21 was due to the increase (B) in public expenditure (C) by 29.5% as compared (D) to the previous year. All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Significant' is the correct spelling. Significant means having much importance.
10. The Tata Group’s consumation (A) of its acquisition (B) of Air India marks the airline’s return (C) to its original founders after an almost seven-decade wait (D). All words are correct (E).
Explanation: 'Consummation' is the correct spelling. Consummation is the act of making something complete or perfect.
Directions (Q.NO. 11 - 20): In each question below, four words are given. Find the correctly spelt word from those words. If all the words are incorrect, choose the option 'E' (All words are incorrect/ All words are correct) as per its requirement.
11. A) locater B) Chartographer C) Cartographer D) Enrouter E) All words are incorrect
Explanation: 'Cartographer' is the correct spelling. Cartographer is a person who draws or produces maps.
12. A) Botany B) Anatomy C) Ornitology D) Zoology E) All words are incorrect
Explanation: 'Ornithology' is the correct spelling. Ornithology is the scientific study of birds.
13. A) Narcisist B) Sacrificing C) Selfist D) Egotistical E) All words are incorrect
Explanation: 'Narcissist' is the correct spelling. 'Narcissist' is a person who has an excessive interest in (or) admiration of themselves.
14) A) Presentator B) Involvement C) Onmipresent D) Omnipresent E) All words are incorrect
Explanation: 'Omnipresent' is the correct spelling. Omnipresent means present or having an effect everywhere at the same time.
15. A) Talkative B) Loqacious C) Loose mouth D) Tenacious E) All words are incorrect
Explanation: 'Loquacious' is the correct spelling. Loquacious means full of excessive talk.
16. A) Innocent B) Brainless C) Gullible D) Decievable E) All words are correct
Explanation: 'Deceivable' is the correct spelling. Deceivable means capable of being deceived.
17. A) Accuse B) Impeech C) Defame D) Desmolish E) All words are correct
Explanation: 'Impeach' is the correct spelling. Impeach means to charge (a public official) with a crime done while in office.
18. A) Homicide B) Suicide C) Assacin D) Murder E) All words are correct
Explanation: 'Assassin' is the correct spelling. Assassin is someone who kills a famous or important person, usually for political reasons or in exchange for money.
19. A) Translucent B) Frajile C) Opaque D) Transparent E) All words are correct
Explanation: 'Fragile' is the correct spelling. Fragile means delicate and vulnerable.
20. A) Maestro B) Amateur C) Incompetent D) Beginer E) All words are correct
Explanation: 'Beginner' is the correct spelling. A beginner is a person who is starting to do something or learn something for the first time