1. ZSM-5 is used as a catalyst in the conversion of
1) alkanols to gasoline 2) alkanals to gasoline
3) alkanes to gasoline 4) alkanones to gasoline
2. Which of the following statements about H3BO3 is not correct?
1) It has a layer structure in which planar BO3 units are joined by hydrogen bonds.
2) It does not act as proton donor but acts as a Lewis acid by accepting hydroxyl ion.
3) It is a strong tribasic acid.
4) It is prepared by acidifying an aqueous solution of borax.
3. AlF3 is soluble in HF only in presence of KF. It is due to the formation of
1) K3[AlF3H3] 2) K3[AlF6]
3) AlH3 4) K[AlF3H]
4. The type of hybridisation of Boron in diborane is
1) SP3 2) SP2 3) SP 4) dsp2
5. BCl3 is a planar molecule where as NCl3 is pyramidal because
1) nitrogen atom is smaller than boron atom
2) BCl3 has no lone pair but NCl3 has a lone pair of electrons
3) B-Cl bond is more polar than N-Cl bond
4) N-Cl bond is more covalent than B-Cl bond
6. Borax bead test is used to identify some of transition metals because
1) tetraborates are coloured 2) borates are coloured
3) metaborates are coloured 4) borides are coloured
7. The formula of inorganic benzene is
1) BN 2) B3N3H6 3) B4C 4) B2H6
8. Correct statements among a to d regarding silicones are
a) They are polymers with hydrophobic character
b) They are biocompatible
c) In general, they have high thermal stability and low dielectric strength
d) Usually, they are resistant to oxidation and used as greases
1) a, b and c only 2) a and b only 3) a, b, c and d 4) a, b, and d only
9. The correct order of stability of difluorides is:
1) GeF2 > SiF2 > CF2 2) CF2 > SiF2 > GeF2
3) SiF2 > GeF2 > CF2 4) CF2 > GeF2 > SiF2
10. The basic structural unit of feldspar, zeolites, mica and asbestos is: R
3) (SiO3)2− 4) SiO2
11. The number of pentagons in C60 and trigons (triangles) in white phosphorus respectively are:
1) 20 and 4 2) 12 and 4 3) 12 and 3 4) 20 and 3
12. A metal M forms chlorides in +2 and +4 oxidation states. Which of the following statements about these chlorides is correct?
1) MCl2 is more volatile than MCl2
2) MCl2 is more soluble in anhydrous ethanol than MCl4
3) MCl2 is more ionic than MCl4
4) MCl2 is more easily hydrolysed than MCl4
13. The straight chain silicone polymer is formed by
1) hydrolysis of CH3SiCl3 followed by condensation polymerisation
2) hydrolysis of (CH3)2SiCl2 followed by condensation polymerisation
3) hydrolysis of (CH3)4Si by addition polymerisation
4) hydrolysis of (CH3)3siCl followed by condensation polymerisation
14. Water gas is produced by
1) passing steam through a red hot coke bed
2) saturating hydrogen with moisture
3) mixing oxygen and hydrogen in the ratio of 1 : 2
4) heating a mixture of CO2 and CH4 in petroleum refineries
15. Nitrogen is prepared in the laboratory by heating a mixture of
1) NH4OH + NaCl 2) NH4NO3 + NaCl
3) NH4Cl + NaOH 4) NH4Cl + NaNO2
16. H3PO2 is the molecular formula of an acid of phosphorus. Its name and basicity respectively are:
1) phosphorus acid and two 2) hypophosphorus acid and two
3) hypophosphorus acid and one 4) hypophosphoric acid and two
17. How many bridging oxygen atoms are present in P4O10?
1) 6 2) 4 3) 2 4) 5
18. The oxidation state of bismuth in its compounds with chlorine and magnesium respectively
1) +3, -3 2) -3, +3 3) -3, -3 4) +3, +3
19. PCl3 reacts with water to form
1) PH3 2) H3PO3, HCl 3) POCl3 4) H3PO4
20. Repeated use of which one of the following fertilizers would increase the acidity of soil?
1) Ammonium sulphate 2) Super phosphate of line
3) Urea 4) Potassium nitrate
21. Which of the following is NOT CORRECT?
1) S8 molecule is puckered ring having crown shape
2) S6 is cyclic ring adopting chair form
3) S2 is diamagnetic at above 1000K
4) Rhombic and monoclinic allotropes of sulphur are stable at 369K i.e. transition temperature.
22. Sulphur trioxide can be obtained by which of the following reactions?
23. The gases respectively absorbed by alkaline pyrogallol and oil of cinnamon are
1) O3, CH4 2) O2, O3 3) SO2, CH4 4) N2O, O3
24. In which pair of ions both the species contains S-S bond?
1) S4O6 2- , S2O3 2- 2) S2O72- , S2O82-
3) S4O62- , S2O7 2- 4) S2O72- , S2O32-
25. The formation of the oxide ion, O 2-(g), from oxygen atom requires first an exothermic and then an endothermic step as shown below:
Thus, process of formation of O2- in gas phase is unfavourable even though O2- is isoelectronic with neon. It is due to the fact that:
1) O- ion has comparatively smaller size than oxygen atom
2) Oxygen is more electronegative
3) Addition of electron in oxygen results in larger size of the ion
4) Electron repulsion outweighs the stability gained by achieving noble gas configuration
26. Which one of the following orders is not in accordance with the property stated against it
1) F2 > Cl2 > Br2 > I2: Bond dissociation energy
2) F2 > Cl2 > Br2 > I2: Oxidising power
3) HI > HBr > HCl > HF: Acidic property in water
4) F2 > Cl2 > Br2 > I2: Electronegativity
27. ‘IFx’ is in pentagonal bipyramidal in shape. The percentage composition of Iodine in that compound is approximately
1) 39 2) 49 3) 51 4) 59
28. Reaction of sodium thiosulphate with iodine gives?
1) tetrathionate ion 2) sulphide ion
3) sulphate ion 4) sulphite ion
29. In which of the following molecules are all the bonds are not equal
1) NF3 2) ClF3 3) BF3 4) AlF3
30. Bleaching powder is obtained by the action of chlorine gas and
1) dilute solution of Ca(OH)2
2) concentrated solution of Ca(OH)2
3) dry CaO
4) dry slaked lime
31. The most abundant noble gas in atmospheric air is
1) He 2) Ar 3) Xe 4) Rn
32. Which of the following pairs has the highest difference in their first ionization energy?
1) Xe, Cs 2) Kr, Rb 3) Ar, K 4) Ne, Na
33. Match the compounds give in column I with the hybridisation and shape given in column II and mark the correct option
Column I Column II
A) XeF6 i) distorted octahedral
B) XeO3 ii) square planar
C) XeOF4 iii) pyramidal
D) XeF4 iv) square pyramidal
A B C D
1) iv iii i ii
2) iv i ii iii
3) i iii iv ii
4) i ii iv iii
34. Complete hydrolysis of XeF4 gives
1) XeF2, Xe 2) XeOF2, Xe 3) XeO3, Xe 4) XeO3, XeOF2
35. Which one of the following statements regarding helium is incorrect?
1) It is used to fill gas balloons instead of hydrogen because it is lighter and non-inflammable.
2) It is used as a cryogenic agent for carrying out experiments at low temperature
3) It is used to produce and sustain powerful super conducting magnets
4) It is used in gas−cooled nuclear reactors
Answers: 1-1; 2-3; 3-2; 4-1; 5-2; 6-3; 7-2; 8-3; 9-2; 10-1; 11-2; 12-3; 13-2; 14-1; 15-4; 16-3; 17-1; 18-1; 19-2; 20-1; 21-3; 22-2; 23-2; 24-1; 25-4; 26-1; 27-2; 28-1; 29-2; 30-4; 31-2; 32-4; 33-3; 34-3; 35-1.
1. Hall - Heroult’s process is given by
1) Cr2O3 + 2 Al → Al2O3 + 2 Cr
2) Cu2+(aq) + H2(g) → Cu(s) + 2H+(aq) coke
3) ZnO + C → Zn + CO 1673 K
4) 2 Al2O3 + 3C → 4 Al + 3CO2
2. The alloy used in the construction of aircrafts is
1) Mg - Zn 2) Mg - Al 3) Mg - Sn 4) Mg - Mn
3. The correct statement is
1) Sodium cyanide cannot be used in the metallurgy of silver
2) Zincite is an oxide ore
3) Zone refining process is used for the refining of titanium
4) Chalcopyrites is popular as fool’s gold
4. The idea of froth flotation method came from a person X and this method is related to the process Y of ores. X and Y respectively are
1) fisher man and reduction
2) washer man and reduction
3) fisher woman and concentration
4) washer woman and concentration
5. The following reactions take place in the blast furnace in the preparation of impure iron. Identify the reaction pertaining to the formation of the slag
1) Fe2O3(s) + 3 CO(g) → 2 Fe(l) + 3CO2(g)
2) CaCO3 (s) → CaO(s) + CO2(g)
3) CaO(s) + SiO2(s) → CaSiO3(s)
4) 2C(s) + O2 (g) → 2 CO(g)
6. Which of the following pairs of metals is purified by Van Arkel method?
1) Ga, In 2) Zr, Ti 3) Ag, Au 4) Ni, Fe
7. Which of the following elements is present as the impurity to the maximum extent in the pig iron?
1) Manganese 2) Carbon 3) Silicon 4) Phosphorus
8. The method of zone refining of metals is based on the principle of
1) greater mobility of the pure metal than that of the impurity
2) higher melting point of the impurity than that of the pure metal
3) greater noble character of the solid metal than that of the impurity
4) greater solubility of the impurity in the molten state than in the solid
9. When the sample of copper with zinc impurity is to be purified by electrolysis the appropriate electrodes are Cathode Anode
1) Pure zinc Pure copper 2) Impure sample Pure copper
3) Impure zinc Impure sample 4) Pure copper Impure sample
10. The purest form of commercial iron is
1) pig iron 2) wrought iron 3) cast iron 4) scrap iron and pig iron
11. Cassiterite is an ore of
1) Sb 2) Ni 3) Mn 4) Sn
12. In the extraction of copper from its sulphide ore, the metal is finally obtained by the reduction of cuprous oxide with
1) carbon monoxide 2) copper (I) sulphide
3) sulphur dioxide 4) iron (II) sulphide
13. The metal oxide which cannot be reduced to metal by carbon is
1) Al2O3 2) PbO 3) ZnO 4) Fe2O3
14. Which of the following is malachite ore?
1) Cu2S 2) Cu2O 3) CuFeS2 4) CuCO3.Cu(OH)2
15. Specific gravity of slag is
1) same as molten metal
2) always greater than molten metal
3) always less than molten metal
4) may be greater of less
Answers: 1-4; 2-2; 3-2; 4-4; 5-3; 6-2; 7-2; 8-4; 9-4; 10-2; 11-4; 12-2; 13-1; 14-4; 15-3.