A. Reading Comprehension
1. ‘All the world’s a stage
And all the men and women merely players
They have their exits and their entrances.’
The expression ‘exit and entrance’ indicates.
1) Love and hatred
2) Birth and Death
3) Dream and reality
4) Marriage and divorce
2. Dolphins are regarded as the friendliest creatures in the sea and stories of them helping drowning sailors have been common since Roman times.
The above sentence says that
1) Dolphins drown the sailors in the sea.
2) Sailors take the help of dolphins to drown in the sea.
3) Dolphins and Sailors drown in the sea in a very friendly manner.
4) Dolphins save the life of sailors who are in danger of drowning.
3. Unless you ask him, he will not lend you a hand.
This sentence means.
1) Don’t ask him. He will not help you.
2) If you ask him, he will not help you.
3) He will help you before you ask him for it.
4) It is better to ask him to take his help.
Directions (Qs.4 – 6): Erosion of America's farmland by wind and water has been a problem since settlers first put the prairies and grasslands under the plow in the nineteenth century. By the 1930s, more than 282 million acres of farmland were damaged by erosion. After 40 years of conservation efforts, soil erosion has accelerated due to new demands placed on the land by heavy crop production. In the years ahead, soil erosion and the pollution problems it causes are likely to replace petroleum scarcity as the nation's most critical natural resource problem.
4. As we understand from the reading, today, soil erosion in America ...
1) causes humans to place new demands on the land.
2) is worse than it was in the nineteenth century.
3) happens so slowly that it is hardly noticed.
4) is the most critical problem that the nation faces.
5. The author points out in the passage that erosion in America ....
1) has damaged 282 million acres ever since settlers first put the prairies and grasslands under the plow.
2) has been so severe that it has forced people to abandon their settlements.
3) occurs only in areas with no vegetation.
4) can become a more serious problem in the future.
6. It is pointed out in the reading that in America ....
1) petroleum is causing heavy soil erosion and pollution problems.
2) heavy crop production is necessary to meet the demands and to prevent a disaster.
3) soil erosion has been hastened due to the overuse of farming lands.
4) water is undoubtedly the largest cause of erosion
Answers: 1-2; 2-4; 3-4; 4-2; 5-4; 6-3.
1. Select the odd sentence pattern.
1) He ate the cake.
2) This shoe is large.
3) She sang a song.
4) Mohan wrote a letter.
2. Identify the compound sentence among the following.
1) The box is too heavy to carry.
2) We must eat or we cannot live.
3) Even though he is poor, he donates generously.
4) Owing to illness Rajani did not appear for the examination.
3. Pick out the statement that doesn’t match with the given question tag basing on the communicative English.
1) Push the door to the corner, can you?
2) Get the guide who can help you, can you?
3) Have some more rice, can you?
4) You cannot come here, can you?
4. Choose the suitable order of articles in the blanks of the given passage . old man said to his daughter, ‘‘If . servant finds any money on floor when she cleans room, it is mine.”
1) The, a, the, a
2) An, the, a, a
3) An, the, the, the
4) The, a, a, the
5. I the instructions but I . them.
1) will read, did not understand
2) will not read, will not understand
3) have read, do not understand
4) read, has not understood
Answers: 1-2; 2-2; 3-3; 4-3; 5-3.