Collective అంటే ‘సామూహిక’ అని అర్థం. ఈ nouns ఒక గుంపు లేదా ఒకే జాతికి చెందిన సమూహాన్ని కలిగి ఉంటాయి. అవి: వస్తువులు, మనుషులు, జంతువులు మొదలైనవి.
E.g.: i) A group of people ii) A gang of thieves
iii) An army of soldiers iv) A shoal of fish
v) A company of parrots vi) A bunch of flowers
vii) A pack of dogs/ wolfs viii) A mob of kangaroos
Note: Collective nouns are countable.
E.g.: An army of soldiers is/ are marching towards the capital.
Possessive nouns: దీన్నే తెలుగులో స్వాధీనతా నామవాచకాలు అంటారు. Possessive pronounsలో నాది, నీది, ఆమెది, వాళ్లది, మనది, వారిది, అతడిది మొదలైన పదాలు ఉంటాయి. ఇవే Possessive case of nounsలోనూ ఉంటాయి.
i) Achyuth’s computer ii) Bird’s wings
iii) Tree’s branches iv) Tiger’s claws v) Kiran’s car
Note: Apostrophe ('s) is uses with the nouns of living creatures/ things but not with lifeless objects.
* కొన్ని బహువచన నామవాచకాల చివర 'S' రాదు. అలాంటి nounsకి 'S'ని add చేయటం వల్ల Possessive case తయారవుతుంది.
→ child (singular) - children (plural)
children’s (possessive case)
→ woman (s) - women (p)
women’s (possessive case)
→ person (s) - people (p)
people’s (possessive case)
కొన్ని బహువచన నామవాచకాల చివర 'S' ఉంటుంది. అలాంటి నామవాచకాలకు Apostrophe ('S') ని add చేస్తే possessive case ఏర్పడుతుంది. 'S'తో end అయ్యే singular nounవచ్చినప్పుడు దానికి 'S'ని చేర్చడం లేదా కేవలం Apostrophe చేర్చడం ద్వారా possessive case లోకి మార్చొచ్చు.
E.g.: * John Keats’s poetry (or) John Keats’ poety
* Charles’s palace (or) Charles’ palace
Note: (apostrophe ('s') is not used)
ఏదైనా నామవాచకం 'S' తో ముగిస్తే, 'S' ని add చేస్తే, అది ఆ నామవాచకం possessive caseగా ఏర్పడుతుంది.
Compound nouns: దీన్ని తెలుగులో సమ్మేళన నామవాచకం అంటారు (లేదా) రెండు పదాలు కలిసి వేరే పదంగా ఏర్పడటం (Made up of two small words)
1. noun + noun
foot + ball → football,
bed + room → bedroom
2. gerund + noun
playing + cards → playing cards
3. noun + verb
rain + fall → rainfall,
hair + cut → haircut
4. adjective + noun
full + moon → fullmoon,
black + board → black board
5. verb + noun
swimming + pool → swimming pool,
washing + machine → washing machine
1. My sister has read .... of the Bible.
a) page after page b) pages after pages
c) page after pages d) None of the above
2. The .... have been elaborately carved.
a) tables leg b) legs of the table
c) legs table d) tables leg
3. The ..... of Kashmir is very charming.
a) scenery b) sceneries
c) scenergs d) None of the above
4. A ..... note was found by me on the read.
a) five rupees b) five
c) five rupee d) None of the above
5. The ...... attended the meeting.
a) Commander-in-Chiefs b) Commander-in-Chief
c) Commanders-in-Chief d) None of the above
6. Rahul studies in a ...... school.
a) boys b) boy's c) boys' d) None of the above
7. She was very helpful. She gave me some very useful .....
a) advices b) advice c) advise d) advises
8. Match the following.
i) A ..... of people ( ) a) series
ii) A ..... of players ( ) b) flock
iii) A ..... of cattle ( ) c) crowd
iv) A ..... of events ( ) d) herd
v) A ..... of birds ( ) e) team
a) i-c; ii-a; iii-b; iv-e; v-d b) i-d; ii-c; iii-a; iv-e; v-b
c) i-c; ii-e; iii-d; iv-a; v-b d) i-a; ii-b; iii-c; iv-d; v-e
9. The government has banned smoking in public places. Identify the type of nouns of the underlined words.
a) Common noun, Common noun b) Common noun, Proper noun
c) Proper noun, Common noun d) Collective noun, Common noun
10. Identify the abstract noun in the given sentence ‘Knowledge is power’.
a) Knowledge b) power c) both a, b d) None
11. Match the collective nouns
i) A collection of puppies ( ) a) anthology
ii) A collection of ants ( ) b) letter
iii) A collection of poems ( ) c) colony
iv) People listening to a lecture ( ) d) army
v) A collection of soldiers ( ) e) audience
a) c, b, e, a, d b) b, c, a, e, d
c) b, a, c, d, e d) c, b, d, e, a
12. Change the gender of the underlined nouns of the given sentence
The bride was blessed by the priest
a) The bride was blessed by the priestess
b) The bridegroom was blessed by the priest
c) The bridegroom was blessed by the priestess
d) None of the above
13. Can you please attend the telephone. Identify the underlined word.
a) Proper noun b) Concrete noun
c) Abstract noun d) Collective noun
14. Identify the correctly matched pair.
a) Honesty - Abstract noun
b) Rahul - Common noun
c) Gold - Collective noun
d) Water - Countable noun
15. Match the following
Underlined word Noun
i) Smoking is a ( ) a) Material noun
ii) The jury has ( ) b) Abstract noun
given its verdict
iii) We cannot live ( ) c) Common noun
iv) Greenland is the ( ) d) Collective Noun
v) My father is a ( ) e) Proper Noun
a) i-c; ii-e; iii-d; iv-a; v-b b) i-a; ii-d; iii-e; iv-b; v-c
c) i-b; ii-d; iii-a; iv-e; v-c d) i-c; ii-a; iii-a; iv-e; v-c
16. The suffix ‘ment’ and ‘sion’ are used to form ....... out of verbs.
a) Noun b) Verb c) Adjective d) Adverb
17. ‘Intact’ is an adjective, then the noun is....
a) Intactness b) Intact c) Intacted d) Intaction
18. When a suffix like ‘able’, ‘full’, ‘ent’ and ‘ant’ are added to the verb then we get ....
a) Adjective b) Noun c) Verb d) Adverb
19. The nouns which are made of a metal or substances are ....
a) Countable nouns b) Uncountable nouns
c) Material noun d) Collective noun