In this, generally the ranks of a person both from the top and from the bottom are mentioned and the total number of persons is asked. Sometimes the question is put in the form of a puzzle of interchanging seats by two persons.
* Rajnish is older than Rajesh and Raman. Ramesh is older than Rajesh but younger than Rajeev. Raman is older than Rajeev. Who among them is oldest?
A) Rajeev B) Rajesh C) Rajnish D) Ramesh E) None of these
Hint: Rajnish > Rajesh, Raman ... (i);
Rajeev > Rajesh ... (ii);
Raman > Rajeev... (iii)
combining all, we get Rajnish > Raman > Rajeev > Ramesh > Rajesh.
* If Anju is taller than Rohini but shorter than Manju and Rohini is as tall as Sarayu but taller than Shubhangi, then Sarayu is
A) taller than Manju B) shorter than Anju C) as tall as Anju
D) shorter than Shubhangi E) shorter than Rohini
Hint: Manju > Anju > Rohini = Sarayu > Shubhangi.
* In a unit test Suman's marks in Mathematics is more than her marks in History but not more than Geography. Her marks in Science is more than that in History but not as much as in Mathematics and her marks in English is not as much as in Geography. In which of the given subjects did she score the lowest?
A) History B) English C) Science D) Data inadequate E) None of these
Hint: Geog > Math > Hist ... (i);
Math > Sci > Hist ... (ii);
Geog > Eng ... (iii)
* P, Q, R, S, and T are sitting around a circular table. R is to the right of P and is second to the left of S. T is not between P and S. Who is second to the left of R?
A) S B) T C) Q D) Data inadequate E) None of these
* In a row of boys Akash is fifth form the left and Nikhil is eleventh from the right. If Akash is twenty-fifth from the right then how many boys are there between Akash and Nikhil?
A) 14 B) 13 C) 15 D) 12 E) None of these
Hint: There are (25-11-1) =13 boys between Akash and Nikhil.
* Haresh is 27th from the left end of a row of 49 boys and Mahesh is 27th from the right end in the same row. How many boys are between them in the row?
A) 6 B) 3 C) 5 D) Data inadequate E) None of these
Hint: Since Harish is 27th from the left, then he is 49-27+1 from the right, i.e. 23rd from the right. Again, since Mahesh is 27th from the right, therefore there are three boys between them in the row.
* Arun is fifth from the left end and Navin is twelfth from right end in a row of children. If Navin shifts by three places towards Arun he becomes tenth from the left end. How many children are there in the row?
A) 21 B) 22 C) 23 D) 24 E) None of these
Hint: 9 - D, Total number of children = 12+3+10-1= 24.
* If Nikhil is eleventh from the left in a row of boys, Rehman is fourteenth from the right, how many boys are there in the row?
A) 25 B) 23 C) 36 D) Data inadequate E) None of these
Hint: We do not have information regarding the number of persons between Nikhil and Rehman.
* In a row of girls, Ravina is 15th from the left and Mohini is 18th from the right. If they interchange their places, Mohini becomes 15th from the left. How many girls are there in the row?
A) 33 B) 48 C) 47 D) Data inadequate E) None of these
Hint: We still need some more information.
* In a row of boys facing north, Sudhanshu is twelfth from the left. When shifted to his right by four places, he becomes eighteenth from the right end of the row. How many boys are there in the row?
A) 32 B) 33 C) 34 D) Data inadequate E) None of these
Hint: 12+3+18 = 33.
* In a queue, Amrita is 10th from the front while Mukul is 25th from behind and Mamta is just in the middle of the two. If there be 50 persons in the queue, what position does Mamta occupy from the front?
A) 20th B) 19th C) 18th D) 17th E) None of these
Hint: Number of persons between Amrita and Mukul = 50-(10+25) = 15. Since, Mamta lies in middle of these 15 persons, so Mamta's position is 8th from Amrita i.e., 18th from the front.
* Raman ranks sixteenth from the top and forty ninth from the bottom in a class. How many students are there in the class?
A) 64 B) 65 C) 66 D) Cannot be determined E) None of these
Hint: Clearly, number of students in the class = (15+1+48) = 64
* Sanjeev ranks seventh from the top and twenty eighth from the bottom in a class. How many students are there in the class?
A) 37 B) 36 C) 35 D) 34 E) None of these
Hint: Clearly, number of students in the class = (6+1+27) = 34.
* If Atul finds that he is twelfth from the right in a line of boys and fourth from the left, how many boys should be added to the line such that there are 28 boys in the line?
A) 12 B) 13 C) 14 D) 20 E) None of these
* Manisha ranked sixteenth from the top and twenty ninth from the bottom among those who passed an examination. Six students did not participate in the competition and five failed in it. How many students were there in the class?
A) 40 B) 44 C) 50 D) 55 E) None of these
Hint: Number of boys who passed = (15+1+28) = 44. Total number of boys in the
class = 44+6+5 = 55.
* Aruna ranks twelfth in a class of forty-six. What will be her rank from the last?
A) 33 B) 34 C) 35 D) 37 E) None of these
Hint: Number of students behind Aruna in a rank = (46-12) = 34. So Aruna is 35th from the last.
* In a class of 60, where girls are twice of boys, Kamal ranked seventeenth from the top. If there are 9 girls ahead of Kamal, how many boys are after him in rank?
A) 3 B) 7 C) 12 D) 23 E) None of these
* In a row of ten boys, when Rohit was shifted by two places towards the left, he became seventh from the left end. What was his earlier position from the right end of the row?
A) First B) Second C) Fourth D) Sixth E) None of these