1) Round-up - Bringing people together, arrest
1) Runaway - One who has escaped
1) Sell-out - Not a single article left
1) Outset - Start, beginning
2) Offset - Do something to reduce the effect of others
3) Upset - An unexpected situation, unhappy, anxious
1) Intake - The quantity or number taken in a period
2) Take-off - Leaving ground
3) Take-over - An offer to buy company
4) Overtake - To go past a vehicle
1) Turnover - Amount received for sale
2) Overturn - Capsize
3) Turn-out - Attendance
I. Fill up the blanks with suitable prepositions from the alternative under each sentence.
1. He didn't lend me the newspaper because he was going .... it
a) over b) through c) about
2. For want of sufficient funds your new project is likely to fall ....
a) out b) through c) under
3. How have you come ........... such a precious diamond?
a) across b) upon c) by
4. We usually give our servants the old clothes we cast.....
a) off b) aside c) away
5. He was called ...... to prove the correctness of the press reports
a) up b) on c) upon
6. For the unity of the country discipline among the people is called .........
a) forth b) for c) out
7. Now it is difficult to carry ...... this business in the teeth of stiff competition
a) out b) on c) off
8. The fear that AIDS has broken ....... in India is not unfounded
a) up b) about c) out
9. The plan of the enemy to blow ...... the fly over was foiled by the police
a) over b) down c) up
10. In view of the heavy losses suffered by the company, the shareholders were requested to bear ....
a) over b) with c) out
11. The two friends appear to have fallen .... over a minor issue
a) down b) out c) into
12. When the robbers ran short of ammunition, they could no longer hold ....
a) on b) up c) out
13. The wise men always lay .... money for their old age.
a) down b) by c) aside
14. The robbers made ..... with what ever they could lay their hands on
a) out b) off/ away c) for
A: off/ away
15. The detectives arrested him while he was palming ..... counterfeit currency notes.
a) off b) over c) by
16. After her long illness she is trying her best to make .... her deficiency in study
a) out b) up for c) for
A: up for
17. On the passing ..... of his father, I sent him a message of condolence
a) by b) over c) away
18. Please make it a point to turn .... water tap before you go out
a) down b) about c) off
19. Although he promised to stand .... me in difficulties he did not live up to it
a) for b) by c) over
20. For an honourable person it is difficult to put .... the haughty behaviour of the Directors
a) up b) up with c) on
A: up with
21. The tatas pass .... philanthropists in the country
a) off b) for c) of
22. As a result of long illness she has run .... a lot
a) out b) down c) over
23. Who can say what will turn ..... next?
a) down b) up c) out
24. His friends were present at the station to see him ....
a) through b) into c) off
25. Cosmetics help to set .... the natural grace of the face
a) forth b) up c) off
26. The sessions court has held .... the verdict till the next date
a) on b) over c) out
27. The newly married couple is not getting .... well with each other
a) on b) up c) over
28. The students were pulled .... by the principal for their misbehaviour with the class teacher.
a) up b) down c) off
29. The police were called .... without delay by the residents
a) up b) for c) in
30. The college will break .... the next week for summer vacation
a) out b) in c) up
31. The candle blew .... as the gust of wind came in
a) over b) out c) up
32. Reeta comes .... a family of freedom fighters
a) of b) by c) off
33. It was given .... that he had failed
a) in b) over c) out
34. I can't understand how these undesirable events came ....
a) over b) of c) about
35. We should try to .... the evil practices in the society
a) do with b) do away with c) do away
A: do away with
36. It is difficult for Indian economy to take .... in the absence of heavy investment
a) on b) off c) up
37. Take your shoes ..... when you enter my room
a) on b) off c) with
38. The number of members absent was large so the meeting had to be put ....
a) off b) out c) down
39. He is still trying to get .... the financial crises
a) on b) off c) over
40. He jumped .... the offer of his boss to accept the job abroad
a) over b) at c) on