1. Minimal pairs are .....
(Choose the best option)
1) difficult sounds to teach students
2) pairs of words differing by a single sound
3) pairs of words which have same spelling but different in sound
4) pairs of words which have same spelling and sound
Ans: pairs of words differing by a single sound
2. Sri Pranab Mukharjee/ the president of India/ addressed the nation.
The split in the above sentence into meaningful chunks can be termed as...
Ans: sense group
3. Reading in quantity to get information, enjoyment etc. is ......
Ans: extensive reading
4. We say lions roar not lions shout. An arrangement words which is usually acceptable to all is known as ......
5. Correspondence among states and the central government is possible only through english. Hence english plays the role of ......
Ans: a link language
6. The reference book which is handy for the writer in avoiding the repetition of same word in a write up could be ......
7. Communicative competence means.....
1) knowledge of rules of speaking
2) knowledge of making requests/ suggestions etc.
3) knowledge of producing sensible conversation
4) All the above
Ans: All the above
8. An approach in language teaching refers to ......
Ans: different theories about the nature of language
9. Identify the correct statement
1) Listening and Reading are receptive skills
2) Writing is a linear process where as Speaking is spiral
3) Reading and Writing are graphic motor skills
4) All are correct
Ans: All are correct
10. "Bad writing is a symbol of imperfect education" said by-
Ans: Mahatma Gandhi
11. Legibility is one of the characteristic features of good hand writing, here 'Legibility' means-
Ans: Easy to read for all
12. English language can be considered as ......
Ans: an unphonetic language as there is no one to one correspondence between letter and sound
13. Language has relevancy only in ...... context.
14. G.T. method was an off spring of ...... scholarship.
15. 'Basic English' was written by-
16. Radhika quickly glanced the score card to find out the score made by her favorite batsman.
This activity can be named as ...... in reading.
17. Find out the correct statement.
1) Regression is the desired reading habit
2) Moving eyes from word to word improves reading skill
3) Sub-vocalisation helps to improve reading habit
4) All are wrong statements
Ans: All are wrong statements
18. "My Christmas day alone. I had rather odd experience." This kind of writing text is called ......
19. In the word 'leaves', 's' is pronounced as ......
20. Reading aloud ......
1) enables the pupils to read with correct pronunciation
2) enables the teacher to correct the mispronunciation of the pupils
3) enables the pupils to follow proper stress and intonation patterns
4) All the above
Ans: All the above
21. 'Predicting an outcome' is the sub skill of ......
22. Putting ideas in a proper sequence and expressing them in phonological terms is ......
23. The foreign phraseology is best assimilated in the process of ...... method of teaching.
Ans: Grammar - Translation
24. Enabling the pupils to think directly in the foreign language is the basic principle of ......
Ans: Direct method
25. The first state in India to have a structural syllabus and readers-
Ans: Tamil Nadu
26. Formative Evaluation is ......
Ans: process oriented
27. The test which is administered to find out learning deficiencies ......
Ans: Diagnostic test
28. Which is an important stage in the writing process?
29. A teacher engages her learners in a fun activity before beginning a new lesson.
The purpose of this activity is to-
Ans: motivate and energise the learners
30. The reading method which was envisaged by psycholinguists-
Ans: phonic method
31. Writing is ...... representation of speech.
32. At the senior level the students are expected to write ...... composition.
33. The English teacher as a facilitator should ......
Ans: provide ample opportunities to expose the learners to listen to and use the target language.
34. Noam Chomsky proposed ......
Ans: Transformational Generative Grammar
35. TOEFL is an example for ...........
Ans: Proficiency test
36. To put the linguistic items in order, the writer uses ......
Ans: cohesive devices
37. You have given a title "All that glitters is not gold" and asked your students to write on thier own.
Now select the right type of composition administered to the students from the following
1) controlled 2) guided 3) free 4) synthetic
38. "A language could best be taught by using it actively in the class room"
39. Communicative Approach emphasises language learning by ......
40. When the teacher uses 'Realia' to teach vocabulary and grammar she ......
Ans: is using real objects, actions and actual life situations