1. Neither a lender, nor a ______ be!
a) payee b) borrower c) remitter d) banker
2. Although Shylock was a cruel money lender, his daughter Jessica was a ______ lady.
a) sweet b) nice c) cunning d) kind
3. The boxer has a very ______ body, but a weak mind.
a) mighty b) heavy c) strong d) stout
4. Most of the questions in EDCET question paper were very simple. The last three were ______
a) critical b) ordinary c) special d) tense
5. Doctors advise to eat a light meal at night, but not a _______ one.
a) heavy b) bulky c) big d) plenty
6. The green grocer buys vegetables in villages and _______ them in the city.
a) profits b) sails c) sells d) exchanges
7. Generally literacy is higher in _______ areas than in rural areas.
a) clumsy b) slum c) prosperous d) urban
8. Don't tell lies. Please tell the ______
a) right b) truth c) fact d) relevance
9. If you are late to the show, you can't find a convenient seat. So do go ______.
a) soon b) immediately c) early d) briskly
10. The more I try to ______ names, the more I forget.
a) remember b) recall c) relieve d) revise
11. The sun gives us ______ light, but electric lamps gives us artificial light.
a) bright b) natural c) sparkling d) luminous
12. No social change should be sudden, all changes should be ______
a) regular b) punctual c) slow d) gradual
13. These children are very rude. Why don't they be ______?
a) polite b) honest c) kind d) generous
14. He is a sanyasin. He treats pains and ______ alike.
a) troubles b) conveniences c) pleasures d) opportunities
15. The farmers were hoping there would be an increase in the production, but actually
there was a ______.
a) surplus b) decrease c) fall d) shortage
ANSWERS: 1-b; 2-d; 3-c; 4-a; 5-a; 6-c; 7-d; 8-b; 9-c; 10-a; 11-b; 12-d; 13-a; 14-c; 15-b
One word in each list is spelt wrongly. Underline the wrongly spelt word:
1. a) tenant b) accountant c) transparent d) restaurent Ans: --------
2. a) tourist b) conspiration c) conistable d) hesitation Ans: --------
3. a) tournament b) governament c) pregnant d) testament Ans: --------
4. a) kerocene b) ancient c) sense d) sentence Ans: --------
5. a) village b) bondage c) collage d) prestige Ans: --------
ANSWERS: 1-d; 2-c; 3-b; 4-a; 5-c.