1. Neither a lender, nor a ______ be!
a) payee b) borrower c) remitter d) banker
2. Although Shylock was a cruel money lender, his daughter Jessica was a ______ lady.
a) sweet b) nice c) cunning d) kind
3. The boxer has a very ______ body, but a weak mind.
a) mighty b) heavy c) strong d) stout
4. Most of the questions in EDCET question paper were very simple. The last three were ______
a) critical b) ordinary c) special d) tense
5. Doctors advise to eat a light meal at night, but not a _______ one.
a) heavy b) bulky c) big d) plenty
6. The green grocer buys vegetables in villages and _______ them in the city.
a) profits b) sails c) sells d) exchanges
ANSWERS: 1-b; 2-d; 3-c; 4-a; 5-a; 6-c
7. Generally literacy is higher in _______ areas than in rural areas.
a) clumsy b) slum c) prosperous d) urban
8. Don't tell lies. Please tell the ______
a) right b) truth c) fact d) relevance
9. If you are late to the show, you can't find a convenient seat. So do go ______.
a) soon b) immediately c) early d) briskly
10. The more I try to ______ names, the more I forget.
a) remember b) recall c) relieve d) revise
11. The sun gives us ______ light, but electric lamps gives us artificial light.
a) bright b) natural c) sparkling d) luminous
12. No social change should be sudden, all changes should be ______
a) regular b) punctual c) slow d) gradual
13. These children are very rude. Why don't they be ______?
a) polite b) honest c) kind d) generous
ANSWERS: 7-d; 8-b; 9-c; 10-a; 11-b; 12-d; 13-a
14. He is a sanyasin. He treats pains and ______ alike.
a) troubles b) conveniences c) pleasures d) opportunities
15. The farmers were hoping there would be an increase in the production, but actually
there was a ______.
a) surplus b) decrease c) fall d) shortage
ANSWERS: 14-c; 15-b
One word in each list is spelt wrongly. Underline the wrongly spelt word:
1. a) tenant b) accountant c) transparent d) restaurent
2. a) tourist b) conspiration c) conistable d) hesitation
3. a) tournament b) governament c) pregnant d) testament
4. a) kerocene b) ancient c) sense d) sentence
5. a) village b) bondage c) collage d) prestige
ANSWERS: 1-d; 2-c; 3-b; 4-a; 5-c.