A) THE USE OF SHOULD/ OUGHT TO ⇒
ఈ కింది వ్యాక్యాన్ని గమనించండి.
"Rama, you ought to at least learn how to write your name", he used to say to his wife.
⇒ We express obligation using 'should' and 'ought to'.
'should' and 'ought to' mean that it would be a good thing to do. We often use should
+ verb or ought to + verb when we say what we think is a good thing to do.
e.g.: 1. We should respect elders.
2. You ought to obey your parents. } తప్పనిసరి; విధిగా చేయాల్సింది.
⇒ We use should not (shouldn't) + verb or ought not to + verb
* When we want to say that something is not a good thing to do.
e.g.: 1. You shouldn't waste time
2. We ought not to smoke } చేయకూడనివి.
* Imagine you are giving advice to a friend. For example, your friend has a bad tooth ache. So you advise him/ her to go to the dentist by saying: you should see the dentist.
QUESTIONS FOR PRACTICE
* Use the following to give advice to your friend.
1. Your friend has not been working hard at his studies. Advise him to study hard.
2. Your friend has started smoking. Advise him not to do it.
3. Your friend appears to be a good runner. Advise her to join a Sports School.
4. Your friend rides his bike at a great speed. You think this is dangerous. Advise him not to do it.
1. You ought to study hard.
2. You shouldn't smoke. OR You ought to give up smoking.
3. You should join a good sports school.
4. You ought not to ride your bike at such a speed.
B) THE USE OF USED TO...
'Used to + verb' ను ఉపయోగించి గతంలో ఉన్న అలవాట్ల గురించి చెబుతాం. అంటే అవి ఇప్పుడు పాటించడం లేదని భావం.
e.g.: I used to run in the morning; but now I am jogging.
My father used to smoke; but now he has given up.
ఇలాంటి మరికొన్ని వాక్యాలు చూడండి.
1. We used to go to the sea in the evenings when we lived in Mumbai.
అంటే ముంబయిలో ఉన్నప్పుడు (ఇప్పుడు కాదు) మేము సముద్రం దగ్గరికి వెళ్లేవాళ్లం.
ఇప్పుడు ముంబయిలో లేము కాబట్టి సముద్రం దగ్గరికి వెళ్లడం లేదని భావం.
2. I used to crawl when I was a child.
నా పసితనంలో అంబాడేవాడిని. అంటే ఇప్పుడు నేను పసివాడిని కాను, అంబాడటం లేదని అర్థం.
e.g.: 1. We can mend a shirt but we can't correct it.
2. We can correct mistakes but we can't repair them.
C) OPPOSITE WORDS / ANTONYMS
Opposite words అనేవి Vocabulary లో ఒక భాగం.
An antonym is a word that is opposite in meaning to another word. Antonyms or opposites are formed (a) by adding a prefix to the given word, (b) by changing the suffix, or (c) by a completely new word.