Exercises for Practice
Fill in the blanks with words
1. The landlady gets ------ clothes pressed in paris.
2. 'We have occupied ------ seats. Have ------- occupied ------?'
3. I got ------ aching tooth extracted.
4. The person ----- sells meat is a butcher.
Answers: 1. her 2. our, you, yours 3. my 4. who
1. He spoke with great eloquence. He spoke ------
2. I thank you with all my heart. I thank you -------
3. The soldiers fought with great courage. They fought very -------
4. She searched for her umbrella in all places. She searched for her umbrella ------
Answers: 1. eloquently 2. wholeheartedly 3. courageously 4. everywhere
1. I am ----- than Shahbuddin. (elder/ older)
2. We tuned on the radio for the ------ news. (latest/ last)
3. Gold is one of the ------ of metals. (costly)
4. Preethi is ------ than her elder sister. (tall)
Answers: 1. older 2. latest 3. costliest 4. taller
1. We ------ children's day last month. (celebrate)
2. I ---- the book tomorrow. (return)
3. It ------ since yesterday. (rain)
4. Vaseema ---- in IX class last year. (be)
Answers: 1. celebrated 2. will return 3. has been raining 4. was
1. I would have stopped ----- I had seen you.
2. Run fast ----- you won't win the race.
3. ------ you ask me, I won't help you.
4. We should not cut down the trees ------- they give us rain.
Answers: 1. if 2. otherwise 3. unless 4. since/ as
1. It is ten ------- my watch.
2. There are a number of birds ------ the tree.
3. He is not interested ------- English.
4. My father gave -------- smoking.
Answers: 1. by 2. in 3. in 4. up
1. ------! We've won the match.
2. ------! The injured were dead.
Answers: 1. Hurrah! 2. Alas!
Preposition: Preposition is a word generally used before a noun or pronoun to show its relation to some other word in the same sentence (ఒక వాక్యంలోని రెండు పదాల మధ్యగల సంబంధాన్ని తెలియజేయడానికి నామవాచకం/ సర్వనామం ముందు ఉపయోగించే చిన్న పదాలను prepositions అంటారు.)
e.g.: 1. The book is on the table
2. We are in the class room.
Types of prepositions
1. Prepositions of Time:
a) At: shows definite point of time. (నిర్దిష్ట సమయాన్ని సూచించడానికి)
e.g.: I get up at 6'o clock in the morning
b) On: Days and Dates (రోజులు, తారీఖుల ముందు)
e.g.: I will meet you on Monday.
He came here on 15th April.
c) In: Months/ years/ seasons (నెలలు, సంవత్సరాలు, రుతువుల పేర్ల ముందు)
e.g.: He got married in May
India got independence in 1947.
d) By: Latest time at which action will over. (ఏదైనా పని ఫలానా సమయానికి
e.g.: He will have finished the work by tomorrow.
e) Since: Shows point of time (ఏదైనా ఒక పని గతంలో ఎప్పటినుంచి జరుగుతూ ఉందో చెప్పాలనుకున్నప్పుడు)
e.g.: I have been waiting for you since 9'o clock
f) For: Shows period of time. (ఏదైనా ఒక పని ఎంతకాలంగా జరుగుతూ ఉందో చెప్పాలనుకున్నప్పుడు)
e.g.: They have been playing cricket for 2 hrs.
g) From: Shows starting point of an action (ఏదైనా ఒక పని ఎప్పుడు మొదలైంది లేదా మొదలవుతుంది అని చెప్పాలనుకున్నప్పుడు)
e.g.: Our examinations will commence from tomorrow.?
2) Prepositions of Position: (స్థలాలను సూచించే ప్రిపోజిషన్స్)
a) At: Shows an exact point (నిర్దిష్ట స్థలాన్ని సూచిస్తుంది.)
e.g.: I will meet you at home.
b) In: larger places (పెద్ద పెద్ద స్థలాల పేర్ల ముందు)
e.g.: He lives in Bangalore
c) Between: Shows position between only two persons/ things (కేవలం రెండింటి మధ్య అని చెప్పాలనుకున్నప్పుడు)
e.g.: Divide this apple between the two girls.
d) Among: Shows the position between more than two persons/ things (రెండింటికంటే ఎక్కువ వ్యక్తులు లేదా వస్తువుల మధ్య అని చెప్పాలనుకున్నప్పుడు)
e.g.: He shared his property among his five children.
e) Above:Higher than (పైన అనే అర్థంలో)
e.g.: Clouds are above the hills.
f) over:Vertically above (నిట్టనిలువుగా పైన)
e.g.: The fan is over table
g) Below: Lower than (కింద)
e.g.: The valley is below the hill.
h) Under: Vertically below (నిట్ట నిలువుగా కింద)
e.g.: The cat is under the table.
3. Preposition of direction:
a) To: Destination (గమ్యం)
e.g.: We are going to college
b) Towards: Direction (దిశ)
e.g.: They are walking towards the college
c) Into: Movement towards interior. (లోపలికి)
e.g.: He jumped into the river
d) At: aim (గురి)
e.g.: He is aiming at first rank in EAMCET
e) Off: Separation (ఎడంగా)
e.g.: He slipped off the motor cycle.
f) From: Point of departure. (నుంచి)
e.g.: We started from Hyderabad.
g) Upon: Movement on to something (మీదికి)
e.g.: The rat sprang up on a rat
The correct use of some important confused prepositions
1. Beside Besides
by the side of Apart from
(పక్కన) In addition to
1. I know English besides Telugu
2. Our house is beside the temple
2. Between Among
Only two More than two
persons/ things persons/ things
ఇద్దరు వ్యక్తుల గురించి వస్తువుల/ వ్యక్తుల గురించి
మాట్లాడే టప్పుడు) మాట్లాడేటప్పుడు)
e.g.: 1. Father divided his property between his two sons
2. All the five brothers always quarrel among themselves
3. AT PLACES IN
(చిన్న స్థలాల ముందు) (పెద్ద స్థలాల ముందు)
NTR was born at Nimmakur in Krishna district
I live at Dilsukhnagar in Hyderabad.
4. IN INTO
We are in the class room
The boys jumped into a well
1. They are sitting on the bench
2. The Lion jumped upon a goat
6. SINCE TIME FOR
Point of time Period of time
(ఏదైనా ఒకపని (ఏదైనా ఒకపని
ఎప్పటి నుంచి ఎంతకాలంగా
జరుగుతూ ఉందో జరుగుతూ ఉందో
1. We have been living in Hyderabad for 5 years
2. Mr Reddy has been teaching English since 1999.
7. By With
Doer of an action Instrument
(పనిచేసే వ్యక్తి ముందు) (పరికరం ముందు)
1. The old man was killed by the thief with a knife
2. A bird was shot by the hunter with a gun.
Words followed by Prepositions
My father is angry with me
I am angry at your behaviour
9. Agree with (person): I agree with you
to (thing): I agree to your proposal
on (a matter of decision):
Let us try to agree on a date
10. Apologise to (person)
I apologised to him for my rude behaviour.
1. Sachin Tendulkar was born __________ April 24, 1973.
2. He watched the Wimbledon Tennis final __________ Television.
3. Tennis is a game _________ the rich.
4. They need only a bat and a ball and a few friends to play __________
5. Sachin started playing __________ his friends.
6. He was coached __________ Ramakant Achrekar.
7. I'm a woman __________ nearly fifty.
8. The skin appears stretched __________ the face.
9. Francis sits down __________ the fire.
10. I'm spooning coffee ___________ my coffee pot.
1. on 2. on 3. for 4. with 5. with
6. by 7. of 8. over 9. by 10. into.