Directions (Qs. 1-5): In the following questions, a paragraph is divided into five parts with one of the parts is omitted. You must choose the most suitable alternative from among the options given to fill the omitted
part, making the passage complete and meaningful. If none of the options are suitable to fill the blank, choose the option, 'None of these' as your answer.
1. The new possibility would be thwarted by the Supreme Court directive 1/ to make new car and two-wheeler owners purchase insurance covers 2/ ---- 3/ the insurance regulator's fiat to gerenal insurers 4/ to sell long term third-party motor insurance covers for new cars and two-wheelers from September 1st 5/.
A) to set prices just as they do on own-damage covers.
B) accident-proneness of routine travel regions, distance driven per month and so on.
C) to acquire the capacity to enforce the law and the stipulated penalty for its violation.
D) for at least three years and five years respectively, against the existing norm of one year.
E) none of these.
2. Recently, the National Human Rights Commission conducted the first-ever nationwide survey 1/ of the transgender community in India and found that 2/ ----- .3/ It is profoundly absurd that we think of
ourselves as inhibiting a modern world, 4/ and yet there exists a size-able community of people who are structurally ostracized and denied the fundamental right to a livelihood 5/.
A) as someone who is not of an established and accepted gender.
B) 92% of the people belonging to the community are subjected to economic exclusion.
C) it defined a transgender person as neither a man nor a woman.
D) what counts as a discrimination against a transgender person.
E) none of these.
3. A backlog of 0.24 million unfilled posts in the public sector, 1/ ------ 2/ surrounding the National Democratic Alliance government's claim on job creation. 3/With the Public Sector being the majorcontributor in formal sector employment in the country, 4/ historically, this backlog of vacanciesspeaks volumes about the nature of the jobs that the government claims to have created. 5/
A) as reported by the media recently, has escalated the contention
B) seems to be in denial that this contemporary trend of informalisation
C) with presumably higher level of education and skill, is perplexing
D) finds it difficult to match up to the central government pay-packages
E) none of these
4. ----- 1/ as their currencies resume their prolonged slide against the U S dollar. 2/ The Indian rupee weakened past the 71 marks for the first time ever on Friday, 3/ registering a loss of about 10% of its
value against the dollar since the beginning of the year. 4/ This makes the rupee the worst-performing currency in Asia. 5/
A) Investors who put their money in emerging markets
B) Emerging market currencies, most notably the
Turkish lira, have suffered much larger losses owing
C) Emerging market economies continue to be in the spotlight for the wrong reasons
D) Emerging market countries, which earlier benefited from the easing of the monetary conditions
E) none of these
5. Kerala's unique topography of coastal plains 1/ and rolling hills between the Arabian Sea and the Western Ghats 2/ ----------- 3/ landslides flooding and coastal erosion being the most common. 4/ Incidents of flooding have become frequent, aided by human intervention. 5/
A) 70% of its costal areas are prone to tsunamis and cyclones
B) is vulnerable to severe natural hazards
C) 60% of its landmass is vulnerable to earthquakes
D) 12% of its land to floods
E) none of these
Directions (Qs. 6-7): In the following questions, a paragraph is given with three blanks, followed by six words. Choose the most suitable combination of words among the five/four alternative options, that will fill
the blank, forming a grammatically correct and meaningful paragraph. If none of the combinations is suitable to fill the blank, mark 'None of these' as your answer.
6. The term 'Secularism' has meaning only if it assures the expression of any form of difference. This ------ both religious and regional, should not get ------- under the louder voice the majority, the
Commission said. At the same time, it said, discriminatory practices within a religion should not hide behind the cloak of that faith to gain ---.
1) Sumsumed 2) Socialism 3) Invigorated 4) Diversity 5) Legitimacy 6) Astuteness
A) 1, 3, 4 B) 4, 1, 5 C) 5, 1, 2 D) 2, 4, 5 E) None of these
7. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has made public its inquiry report into an incident involving a plane ----. Congress President Rahul Gandhi from Delhi to Karnataka in April. The -----
has revealed that there was a technical --- in the plane, and as the response of the two pilots to the situation was delayed, the aircraft sharply on one side and began to fall.
1) Gremlin 2) Ferrying 3) Advocacy 4) Glitch 5) Barging 6) Probe
A) 2, 3, 1 B) 4, 1, 5 C) 5, 1, 2 D) 2, 6, 4
KEY: 1-D; 2-B; 3-A; 4-C; 5-B; 6-B; 7-D.