Example 1 :
Siva starting from his house, goes 5 km in the East, then he turns to his left and goes 4 km. Finally he turns to his left and goes 5 km. Now how far is he from his house and in what direction?
From third position it is clear he is 4 km from his house and is in North direction.
Example 2 :
Suresh starting from his house, goes 4 km in the East, then he turns to his right and goes 3 km. What minimum distance will be covered by him to come back to his house?
Example 3 :
One morning after sunrise Juhi while going to school met Lalli at Boring road crossing. Lalli’s shadow was exactly to the right of Juhi. If they were face to face, which direction was Juhi facing?
Sol. In the morning sunrises in the east.
So in morning the shadow falls towards the west.
Now Lalli’s shadow falls to the right of the Juhi. Hence Juhi is facing South.
Example 4 :
Hema starting from her house walked 5 km to reach the crossing of Palace. In which direction she was going, a road opposite to this direction goes to Hospital. The road to the right goes to station. If the road which goes to station is just opposite to the road which IT-Park, then in which direction to Hema is the road which goes to IT-Park?
From II it is clear that the road which goes to IT-Park is left to Hema.
1. One morning Udai and Vishal were talking to each other face to face at a crossing. If Vishal’s shadow was exactly tothe left of Udai, which direction was Udai facing?
2. If South-East becomes North, North-East becomes West and so on. What will West become?
It is clear from the diagrams that new name of West will become South-East.
3. A man walks 5 km toward south and then turns to the right. After walking 3 km he turns to the left and walks 5km. Now in which direction is he from the starting place?
Hence required direction is South-West.
Directions (Q. 4-7) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
• Six flats on a floor in two rows facing North and South are allotted to P, Q, R, S, T and U.
• Q gets a North facing flat and is not next to S.
• S and U get diagonally opposite flats.
• R next to U, gets a south facing flat and T gets North facing flat.
4. If the flats of P and T are interchanged then whose flat will be next to that of U?
Interchanging flats of P and T
Hence flat R will be next to U.
5. Which of the following combination get south facing flats?
Hence URP flat combination get south facing flats.
6. The flats of which of the other pair than SU, is diagonally opposite to each other?
Hence QP is diagonally opposite to each other.
7. Whose flat is between Q and S?
Hence flat T is between Q and S.
Directions (Q. 8-11) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
Point W is 7m towards the West of point X. Point X is 3m towards the North of point Y. Point Z is 4m towards West of point Y.
8. A person walks 3m towards North from point Z and reaches point P . How far and towards which direction will he have to walk to reach point W ?
Ans: 3m towards West
As per question,
... 3m towards West.
9. If a person walks 3m towards South from point W and reaches point Q, which of the following 2 points would fall in straight line including Q
Ans: Q, Y, Z
10. What is the position of X with respect to P
11. Y is in the East of X which is in the North of Z. If P is in the South of Z, then in which direction of Y, is P?
P is in South-West of Y.
12. Rahul put his timepiece on the table in such a way that at 6 P.M. hour hand points to North. In which direction the
minute hand will point at 9.15 P.M. ?
At 9.15 P.M., the minute hand will point towards west.
13. Vivek travelled 12kms West, then he turned left and travelled 8kms. Then he turned left and travelled 12kms. How far was Vivek from starting point ?
14. A person going 40m to the south of his house. Then he turned left and go 20m and turn to north and walk 30m then start walking to his house. In which direction he was walking now ?
Ans: North West
∴ North West