1. If a man reduces the selling price of a fan from 400 to 380, his loss increases by 20%. What is the cost price (in Rs.) of the fan?
2. Anjali collects antique stamps. She purchased two but found that she needed to raise money urgently, so she sold them for Rs. 8000 each. On one she made 20% & on the other she lost 20%. How much did she gain or lose in the entire transaction?
3. The cost price of 21 articles is equal to the selling price of 18 articles, profit percentage is?
4. A dealer professes to sell his goods at cost price and uses an 880 gm weight instead of a kg. What is his percentage of gain?
5. A shopkeeper sells two items at the same price. If he sells one of them at a profit of 10% and the other at a loss of 10%, find the percentage profit/loss.
Ans: 1% loss
6. The cost price of 20 articles is the same as the selling price of x articles. If the profit is 25%, then the value of x is...
7. A man buys a cycle for Rs. 1400 and sells it at a loss of 15%. What is the selling price of the cycle?
8. Some articles were bought at 6 articles for Rs. 5 and sold at 5 articles for Rs. 6. Gain percent is....
9. When a plot is sold for Rs. 18,700, the owner loses 15%. At what price (in Rs.) must that plot be sold in order to gain 15%?
10. To make a profit of 20% the selling price of the goods is Rs. 240. The cost price (in Rs.) of the good is...
11. If the ratio of the cost price and the selling price of an article be 4 : 5, then the percentage of profit is:
12. Arun sold two TV sets for Rs.6000 each. On one he gained 20% and on the other he lost 20%. Loss or gain of Arun in the whole transaction is ....
Ans: 4% Loss
13. A man buys a fan for Rs. 1000 and sells it at a loss of 15%. What is the selling price of the fan?
14. If the cost price of 12 pens is equal to the selling price of 8 pens, the gain percent is..
15. By selling an article at Rs.800, a shopkeeper makes a profit of 25%. At what price should he sell the article so as to make a loss of 25%?
16. A shopkeeper earns a profit of 21% after selling a book at 21% discount on the printed price. The ratio of the cost price and selling price of the book is....
Ans: 100 : 121
17. If selling price of 75 articles is equal to the cost price of 60 articles, then the approximate loss or gain percent is...
Ans: Loss of 20%
18. By selling an article for Rs.640, a person loses 15% of its selling price. At what price (in Rs.) should he sell it to gain 15% on its cost price?
19. An article is marked 27% above its cost price. If x% discount is allowed on the marked price and still there is a profit of 6.68%, then what is the value of x?
1. 20% loss = Rs. 20
So, Total loss (100%) = Rs .100
Cost price = Selling price + loss =
400 + 100 = Rs.500
So, Total S.P = 96%
(If we take Cost price as 100%)
So, 96 % = 16000
Going by Options only x = 16 fits the equation.
7. Take Cost price = 100% = Rs.1400
Selling Price = 85%(1400) = 1190
8. 6 (C.P) = 5
C.P of one article = Rs. 5/ 6
5 (S.P) = 6
S.P of one article = Rs. 6/ 5
9. Let us Take C.P. = 100%
So , S.P. = 85 % (at 15% loss) = Rs.18700
10. Let us Take C.P = 100%
S.P. = 120% (at 20% profit ) = Rs. 240
Previous Year Questions
(SSC CGL - 2020)
1. A shopkeeper sold two items. The selling price of the first item equals the cost price of the second item. He sold the first item at a profit of 20%, and the second item at a loss of 10%. What is the overall profit/loss percent?
2. Hari suffered a loss of 8% by selling an article. If he had sold it for Rs. 300 more, he would have made a profit of 4%. Find his CP (in Rs.)?
3. A shopkeeper sold an article for Rs.455 at a loss (in Rs.). If he sells it for Rs.490, then he would gain an amount four times the loss. At what price (in Rs.) should he sell the article to gain 25%?
4. A trader bought two articles for Rs.490. He sold one at a loss of 20% and the other at a profit of 16%. If the selling price of both articles is same, then the cost price (in Rs.) of the article sold at 20% loss is:
5. Radha bought a fridge and a washing machine together for Rs.57300. She sold the fridge at a profit of 15% and washing machine at a loss of 24% and sold at the same price. The cost price of the washing machine (in Rs.) is:
6. A shopkeeper bought 20 kg of sugar at Rs.45 per kg. 25 kg of sugar at Rs.50 per kg and 35 kg of sugar at Rs.40 per kg. He spent a sum of Rs.450 on transportation and other expenses. He mixed all the three types of sugar and sold all the stock at Rs.52.5 per kg. His profit percent in the entire transaction is..
7. The marked price of an article is Rs.1500. A shopkeeper sells it by giving at 20% discount on its marked price. If the cost price
of the article is Rs.991, then the profit (inRs.) is...