• There are four main directions -
⇢ North and
⇢ South as shown.
• There are four cardinal directions –
⇢ North-East (N-E),
⇢ North-West (N-W),
⇢ South-East (S-E),and
⇢ South-West (S-W) as shown.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
1. At the time of sunrise if a man stands facing the east, his shadow will be towards west.
2. At the time of sunset the shadow of an object is always in the east.
3. If a man stands facing the North, at the time of sunrise his shadow will be towards his left and at the time of sunset it will be towards his right.
4. At 12:00 noon, the rays of the sun are vertically downward hence there will be no shadow.
5. By default the direction of a man facing becomes north unless it is mentioned.
Directions (Qs.1-10): Select the correct alternative from the given choices.
1. Karuna is facing South-West. She turns 270° in clockwise direction and then 135° clockwise direction. Which direction is she facing now?
1) North-East 2) West 3) South 4) South 5) North-West
2. One morning Rakesh facing to the sun. He turns 540° in clockwise and then 135° in anitclokwise direction. Which direction Rakesh facing now?
1) South-East 2) East 3) North-West 4) South-West 5) North-East
Sol: Morning facing sun means he is facing East.
3. Raju facing towards South moved straight 12km and from there turned to his left 90° and travelled 10km. Then he took a 45° turn to his right and travelled 5km. In which direction was his staring point with respect to his reaching point?
1) North-East 2) South-East 3) East 4) South 5) North-West
4. Mounika travels 40km North, turns right and goes another 58km. Then turning to South travels 40km. Again turn to the West and walks 43km How far she is from her starting point?
1) 101km 2) 43km 3) 15km 4) 83 km 5) None of these
5. Shankar walks 40m towards North then turning to his right he walks 50m. Then tuning to his left, he walks 30m. Again he turns to his left and walks 40m. How far is he from initial position?
1) 50 2) 60 3) 50√2 4) 60√2 5) None of these
6. Amla walking towards East and covers 200 meters, then she turns left and walks 300 meters. Finally turns to right and walks 200m. How far(short distance) and in which direction is the final point with respect to the starting point?
1) 500m, North-East 2) 700m, North-West
3) 400m, East 4) 500m, East 5) 700m, South
7. Point A is 30m to the South of point B. Point C is 15m to the East of point A. Point D is 5m to the South of point C. Point D is exactly midway between points E and F in such a manner that point E. D and F from a horizontal straight line of 30m. Point E is to the West of pint D. How far and in which direction is point E form point B?
1) 35m, North 2) 30m, South 3) 25m, North 4) 35m, South 5) 25m, South
Point E is South from point in 35m distance.
8. A compass was damaged and it's needle turned in such a manner that the pointer, which was showing North-East, is now showing East. One person went towards SouthWest as per above compass in which direction did he actually go?
1) West 2) North-West 3) East 4) North 5) South
North-East turns to East, person went according to damaged compass. South-West but it is West actually, South-West means actually it is West.
9. One morning shiva observed that his shadow is falling behind him, which direction is he facing?
1) West 2) East 3) North 4) South 5) Cannot be determined
Sol: Early morning sun rises at East, if his shadow falls exactly behind shiva that means he is facing towards East.
10. One evening Nitya and Navya were talking to each other face to face. If Navya's shadow was exactly to the right of Nitya, which direction Navya was facing?
1) West 2) North 3) South 4) East 5) Cannot be determined
Sol: In the evening sun is in West and so the shadow falls towards East. Navya's shadow falls towards right of Nitya so Navya is facing South.
Directions (Qs.11-12): Read the following information carefully and answer the questions. Point L is 15m to the North of point M. Point N is 15m to the East of point M. Point O is 10m to the South of point N. Point P is 7.5m to the West of point O. Point K is 10m to the North of point P.
11. How far is point K from point M?
1) 10 meters 2) 10.5 meters 3) 7.5 meters 4) 5.5 meters 5) 4 meters
12. Which of the following represents the direction of point L with respect to point P?
1) South-East 2) North-East 3) North-West 4) South 5) South-West
11-3; Distance between point K from point M is 7.5 meters
12-3; Point L is in North-West with respect to point P.
Directions (Qs.13-14): Read the following information carefully and answer the questions. Bhuvana starts from her home, walks 225m towards West and turns to her right and walks 120m, again she turns to the North and walks 120m, then she turns to her right and walks 85m, then she turns South and walks 160m, then she turns to her left and walks 140m. Again she turns left and walks 160m and stopped.
13. Finally how much distance Bhuavana travelled vertically?
1) 350m 2) 410m 3) 560m 4) 660m 5) None of these
14. What is the vertical distance between Bhuvana’s stating point to final point?
1) 410m 2) 160m 3) 350m 4) 240m 5) None of these
13-3; Total Vertical distance travelled by Bhavana
= (120 + 120 + 160 + 160) = 560m
14-4; Vertical distance between Bhavana’s starting point to final point
= (160m + 80m) = 240m
Directions (Qs.1 - 11): Select the correct alternatives from the given choices.
1. Mahesh is facing towards West and turns through 45° clockwise, again 180° clockwise and then turns through 270° anti-clockwise. In which direction is Mahesh is facing now?
A) West B) North-West
C) South D) South-West
2. A river flows from West to East and on the way turns left and goes in a semi-circle round a hillock, and then turns left at right angle. In which direction is the river finally flowing?
A) West B) East
C) North D) South
3. Sarvesh walks a distance of 3km towards North, then turns to his left and walks for 2km. He again turns left and walks for 3km. At this point he turns to his right and walks for 3km. How far is he from the starting point?
A) 1km B) 2km C) 3km D) 5km
4. Manjusha starts from her home and travels 3km East wards to P and then turns left and travels thrice that distance to reach Q. She again turns left and travels five times the distance she covered between her home and point P and reaches her office. The shortest distance between her home and the office is.......
A) 12km B) 15km C) 16km D) 18km
5. Ramesh walks 10 meters towards South. Turning to the left, he walks 20 meters and then moves to his right. After moving a distance of 20 meters, he turns to the right and walks 20 meters. Finally, he turns to the right and moves a distance of 10 meters How far and in which direction is he from the starting point?
A) 10m North B) 20m South
C) 20m North D) 10m South
6. Suresh walked 25 meters towards South. Then he turned to his left and walked 20 meters. He then turned to his left and walked 25 meters. He again turned to his right and walked 15 meters. At what distance is he from the starting point and in which direction?
A) 35m East B) 35m North
C) 40m East D) 60m East
7. There are four different colour balls Black, White, Indigo and Violet. White is to the South-West of Black, Indigo is to the East of White and South-East of Black, and Violet is to the North of Indigo in line with White and Black. In which direction of Black colour ball with respect to Violet colour ball?
A) South-West B) North
C) North-East D) East
8. Two cars namely Range Rover and Skoda start from the opposite points of a main road, 150kms apart. The Range Rover runs for 25kms and takes a right turn and then runs for 15kms. It then turns left and runs for another 25kms and takes the direction back to reach the main road. In the meantime, due to a minor breakdown, the Skoda car has run only 35kms along the main road. What would be the distance between the two cars at this point?
A) 65kms B) 75kms
C) 80kms D) 85kms
9. If South-East is called East, North-West is called West, South-West is called South and so on, What will North be called?
A) East B) North-East
C) North-West D) South
10. A Direction pole was situated on the crossing. Due to an accident the pole turned in such a manner that the pointer which was showing South, started showing North- West. Mr. Kumar went to the wrong directionthinking it to be South-East. In what direction actually he was travelling?
A) North B) South C) East D) West
11. The time in the wall clock shows quarter to six. If the minute hand points towards the North-East, then the hour hand will point towards....
A) South B) South-West
C) North-West D) South-East
1-D 2-B 3-D 4-B 5-B 6-A 7-A 8-A 9-C 10-D 11-C