1. A man can cover a certain distance in 40 minutes. He covers two thirds of it at 6 km/hr and the remaining 8 km/hr. The total distance (in km) is:
2. A person riding a bike crossing a bridge with a speed of 75 km/hr. What is the length (in mts) of the bridge, if that person takes 11 min to cross the bridge?
A) 13560 B) 13460 C) 13550 D) 13750
Sol: Distance travelled = Time × Speed
3. Two men start together to walk a certain distance, one at 6 km/hr and another at 4.5 km/hr. The former arrives 20 minutes before the latter. Find the distance (in km).
A) 6 B) 7 C) 6.5 D) 7.5
4. A man completes 60 km of a journey at 7.5 km/h and the remaining 12 km of the journey in 2.5hours. Find the average speed (approximately in kmph) for the whole journey
A) 4.5 B) 6.9 C) 7.2 D) 5.8
A) 10 B) 12 C) 9 D) 7
6. A man riding a bicycle from his house at 14 km/h and reaches his office late by 11 min. He increases his speed by 3.5 km/h and reaches 4 min before. How far(in km) is the office from his house?
A) 10.5 B) 12.5 C) 14.5 D) 17.5
7. A 1225 meters long train running at the speed of 63 km/h to cross a bridge in 40 seconds. What is the length (in meters) of the bridge?
A) 7647 B) 7847 C) 7927 D) 7747
8. A train 330 m long meets a man going in the opposite direction at the speed of 4 km/hr and passes him in 10 seconds. At what rate (in kmph) is the train going?
A) 114.8 B) 116.9 C) 111.1 D) 123.5
9. The average speed of a train, including stoppages, was 34 km/hr and excluding stoppages, it was 50 km/hr. How many minutes per hour did the train stop?
A) 17.5 B) 16.3 C) 14.5 D) 19.2
Sol: Time in minutes
10. Two trains of lengths 253 m and 327 m are traveling in opposite directions at speeds of 45 kmph and 42 kmph respectively. What is the time (in seconds) taken by them to cross each other?
A) 38 B) 45 C) 32 D) 24
11. A train 378 meters long is running at a speed of 40 km per hour. In what time(in sec) will it pass a Platform of length 522 meters.
A) 40 B) 25 C) 81 D) 75
12. A boat goes 37.5 km upstream in 5 hours and downstream in 3 hours. How much time (in hours) will this boat take to travel 64 km in all still water?
A) 8.5 B) 6.4 C) 7.5 D) 8.9
13. A boat against the current of water goes 10 km/hr and in the direction of the current 18 km/hr. The boat takes 5 hours and 20 minutes to move upward and downward directions from A to B. What is the distance (approximately in kms) between A and B?
A) 29.36 B) 34.28 C) 41.75 D) 37.79
Sol: Speed of boat in upstream = 10 kmph speed of boat in Downstream = 18 kmph. Let the distance between Aand B be 'd' kms t = 5 hrs 20 mins
14. A man can row 11 km per hour in still water. If the river is flowing at 4 km per hour, it takes him 38.5 minutes to row to a place and back. How far (in kms approximately) is the place?
A) 6 B) 2 C) 5.5 D) 3
Sol: Speed of man in upstream
= 11 − 4 = 7 kmph
speed of man in downstream
= 11 + 4 = 15 kmph
15. A motorboat can travel at 17 km/h in still water. It traveled 140 km downstream in a river and then returned to the same place, taking altogether 17 hr. The rate (in kmph) of flow of river is:
A) 2 B) 3 C) 5 D) 4
Sol: Speed of boat in still water = 17 kmph let 'x' be the speed of water