1. In what ratio must a grocer mix two varieties of pluses costing Rs.16 and Rs.21 per kg respectively so as to get a mixture worth Rs.19 per kg?
A) 1 : 6 B) 2 : 7 C) 2 : 3 D) 4 : 5
Sol: By the rule of Alligation
2. A dishonest milkman profess to sell his milk at cost price but he mixes it with water and there by gains 50%. The percentage of water in the mixture is ....
A) 25% B) C) 20 % D) 10%
3. A jar of whisky contains 60% alcohol. A part of this whisky is replaced by another containing 25% alcohol and now the percentage of alcohol was found to be 38%. The quantity of whisky replaced is ....
4. Find the ratio in which rice at Rs.6.80 a kg be mixed with rice at Rs.5.70 a kg to produce a mixture worth of Rs.6.20 a kg.
A) 4 : 5 B) 1 : 2 C) 6 : 7 D) 5 : 6
5. A merchant has 1400 kg of sugar, part of which he sells at 10% profit and the rest at 17% profit. He gains 12% on the whole. The quantity sold at 17% profit is ....
A) 300 kgs B) 800 kgs
C) 600 kgs D) 400 kgs
6. Copper and Zinc are in the ratio 3 : 4 in 350 gms of an alloy. The quantity (in grams) of copper to be added to it to make the ratio 5 : 2 is....
A) 200 gms B) 250 gms
C) 300 gms D) 350 gms
7. How many litres of water should be added to a 40 litre mixture of milk and water containing milk and water in the ratio 5 : 3 such that the resultant mixture has 50% water in it?
A) 12 litres B) 10 litres
C) 15 litres D) 20 litres
8. In what ratio must coffee worth Rs.15 per kg be mixed with the coffee worth Rs.23 per kg so that the resultant mixture costs Rs.20 per kg?
A) 2 : 5 B) 2 : 3 C) 1 : 4 D) 3 : 5
9. In what ratio must water be mixed with milk worth Rs.25 per litre so as to produce a mixure worth Rs.18 per litre?
A) 4 : 5 B) 6 : 7 C) 7 : 18 D) 23 : 25
10. In an examination out of 2400 students 84% boys and 96% girls are passed. If total pass percentage was 89%, find the number of girls.
A) 600 B) 500 C) 1000 D) 1200
11. Find the ratio in which quantity of rice of first kind of worth Rs.71 per kg mix to the second kind of rice of worth Rs.42 per kg so that the resulting mixture is of worth Rs.56 per kg?
A) 9 : 11 B) 10 : 11 C) 12 : 13 D) 14 : 15
12. In what ratio must milk be mixed with water worth Rs.25 per gallon so as to produce a mixture worth Rs.10 per gallon?
A) 2 : 3 B) 3 : 4 C) 10 : 13 D) 5 : 7
13. In what ratio must two kinds of sugar at Rs.12 and Rs.30 per kg be mixed so that by selling at Rs.24 per kg, 20% may be gained?
A) 1 : 6 B) 3 : 7 C) 5 : 4 D) 4 : 9
14. How much water be mixed in 26 litre of milk worth Rs.12 per litre, so that value of mixture is Rs.8 per litre?
A) 4 litres B) 5 litres
C) 10 litres D) 13 litres
15. How many kgs of sugar at Rs.70 per kg must a man mix with 30 kgs of sugar at Rs.40 per kg so that by selling the mixture at Rs.55 per kg he gains 10% on the outlay?
A) 10 kgs B) 15 kgs C) 21 kgs D) 23 kgs
16. How much sugar at Rs.10 per kg should be added to 21 kgs of other kind of sugar at Rs.20 per kg so that the mixture be worth Rs.13 per kg?
A) 49 kgs B) 44 kgs C) 45 kgs D) 35 kgs
17. How many kgs of custard powder costing Rs.50 per must be mixed with 20 kgs of custard powder costing Rs.80 per kg so that 10% may be gained by selling the mixture at Rs.77 per kg?
A) 10 kgs B) 15 kgs C) 21 kgs D) 23 kgs
1-C 2-B 3-A 4-D 5-D 6-D 7-B 8-D 9-C 10-C 11-D 12-A 13-C 14-D 15-B 16-A 17-A
1. Equal quantities of two milk and water solutions which contains milk and water in ratio, 1 : 5 and 3 : 5 are mixed together. What will be the ratio of water to milk in the resultant solution?
a) 13 : 35 b) 4 : 10 c) 5 : 8 d) 35 : 13
2. The respective ratio of milk and water in 66 litres of adulterated milk is 5 : 1. Water is added into it to make the respective ratio 5 : 3. What is the quantity of water added?
a) 11 litres b) 22 litres c) 33 litres d) 44 litres
3. A 200 litres solution of alcohol and water contains 1/4 th part alcohol. Find the new percentage of alcohol, if 50 litres of the original solution is replaced by 50 litres of alcohol.
a) 43.75% b) 50% c) 66.66% d) 80%
4. A container has 80 litres of milk. From this container 8 litres of milk was taken out and replaced with water. The process was further repeated twice. How much milk is there in the container finally? (in liters)
a) 58.32 b) 60.32 c) 62 d) 64.7
5. 100 litres of a mixture contains 10% water and the rest milk. The amount of water that must be added so that the resulting mixture contains only 50% milk is......
a) 70 litres b) 72 litres c) 78 litres d) 80 litres
6. In a particular type of fertilizer, the ratio of two chemicals A and B is 2 : 5. In 21 kg of this fertilizer, if 3 kg of type - A is added, the ratio of chemical A to B in the new fertilizer will be
a) 1 : 1 b) 2 : 3 c) 3 : 5 d) 4 : 5
7. Rice worth Rs.120 per kg and Rs.132 per kg are mixed with a third variety in the ratio 2 : 1 : 3. If the mixture is worth Rs.135 per kg, the price of the third variety per kg will be....
a) Rs.140 b) Rs.146 c) Rs.150 d) Rs.148
8. A jar full of wine contains 50% alcohol. A part of wine is replaced by another containing 20% alcohol and now percentage of alcohol was found to be 30%. The part of wine replaced is?
a) 1/2 b) 1/3 c) 2/5 d) 2/3
9. A shopkeeper has 50 kg rice, a part of which he sells at 10% profit and rest at 25% profit. He gains 16% on the whole. The quantity sold at 10% profit is?
a) 30 kg b) 20 kg c) 45 kg d) 27 kg
10. An alloy contains tin, copper and zinc in ratio 2 : 3 : 1, and another alloy contain copper, aluminium and tin in ratio 3 : 2 : 7. If both alloys are mixed in equal quantities, then what will be the ratio of tin and aluminium in final alloy?
a) 2 : 11 b) 11 : 9 c) 9 : 2 d) 11 : 2