This is like the "ERROR-SPOTTING" item in a different format. Both these items in Competitive Exams are meant to test your working knowledge of English. In fact these two things give you a chance to prove your mettle by scoring maximum marks in Exams. Here are a few model questions for your practice.
Directions (Qs. 1 - 31): Under each question, a part of a sentence is given in CAPITAL LETTERS and three alternates to the part in CAPITALS are given and named A, B, C. Pick out the correct alternative which, you think, can be used in place of the part in CAPITALS to improve the sentence. In case you think no improvement is needed, mark ‘D’ as your answer.
1. Hari IS working in Hyderabad since 2015.
A) had been B) was C) has been D) No improvement needed
2. For the final exams, Ravi studied HARDLY and stood first in the college.
A) hard B) hardest C) hardening D) No improvement needed
3. Rani didn't like that movie. NOR I DID.
A) nor I do B) nor did I C) nor I was D) No improvement needed
4. Vani IS ALWAYS WATCHING TV.
A) always watch B) always has watched
C) watching D) No improvement needed
5. Our application for starting a Junior college in our town has been sent to the CONCERNED MINISTER.
A) Minister concerned B) concerning Minister
C) concern Minister D) No improvement needed
6. My market research report is BASED AT A SURVEY.
A) based on a survey B) base on an survey
C) based from a survey D) No improvement needed
7. Raju has convinced Rani TO WITHDRAWN her resignation.
A) to withdrew B) to withdraw
C) to withdrawing D) No improvement needed
8. According to police, the lawyer couple murder in Hyderabad is a COLDBLOODED AND PRE-PLANNED one.
A) cold-blooding and pre-planning B) cold-blooded and pre-plan
C) cold-blood and pre-planned D) No improvement needed
9. We USUAL HAVE a family get-together almost every month.
A) usually have B) usually has C) usually having D) No improvement needed
10. Sita is THE TALLEST OF the two sisters.
A) the tall of B) the taller of C) the tallied of D) No improvement needed
11. That is a movie WORTH TO SEE more than once.
A) worth seeing B) worth to seeing C) worthy to see D) No improvement needed
12. I often call my brother a DOUBTING THOMAS.
A) doubted Thomas B) doubt Thomas C) doubt Thomasing D) No improvement needed
13. Our cricket team has reached the World Cup Finals, after winning MATCHES AFTER MATCHES.
A) matching after matching B) match after match
C) matched after matched D) No improvement needed
14. MANY A DOCTORS ARE moneyminded, people say.
A) Many a doctor are B) Many doctor are
C) Many a doctor is D) No improvement needed
15. Mohan is very intelligent and he GO TO THE COLLEGE daily.
A) went to the college B) goes to college
C) goes to the college D) No improvement needed
16. Vasu's friends call him a wise man, but Vasu REGARDS as an ordinary person.
A) regards themselves B) regards himself
C) regarding himself D) No improvement needed
17. My father goes to the office BY A CAR.
A) by car B) by the car C) by cars D) No improvement needed
18. The child has been SUFFERING FROM fever since yesterday.
A) suffers from B) suffering with C) suffering by D) No improvement needed
19. Pratap plays cricket every day, ISN'T IT?
A) isn't he? B) hasn't he? C) doesn't he? D) No improvement needed
20. Old habits DIE HARDLY. (SSC (10+2) 2014)
A) die hard B) dying hard C) dead hard D) No improvement needed
21. The CM with his minister WERE PRESENT at the marriage yesterday.
A) are present B) is present C) was present D) No improvement needed
22. Twenty miles ARE a long distance to go.
A) is B) were C) has D) No improvement needed
23. I have read A LITTLE of the book. (SSC - SEP - 2014)
A) a few pages B) little pages C) all page D) No improvement needed
24. Raju has a meager income and it is very difficult for him to MAKE BOTH ENDS MEET.
A) made both ends meeting B) making both ends meeting
C) make both end meeting D) No improvement needed
25. Renuka AVAILED HERSELF of all the leave to her credit. (SSC - (10+2) NOV, 2014)
A) availed of B) available of C) availing of D) No improvement needed
26. My brother is very lazy and IS HATING doing any kind of work.
A) was hating B) hates C) hate D) No improvement needed
27. Amassing a lot of money is one of the desires WHICH ARE NEVER SATISFIED.
A) which is never satisfied B) which are never satisfy
C) which is not never satisfied D) No improvement needed
28. When in trouble, most people PRAY GOD for help.
A) are praying God B) is praying God C) pray to God D) no improvement needed
29. To attend a marriage, Meena WENT TO THE TOWN yesterday.
A) has gone to the town B) have gone to the town
C) went to town D) No improvement needed
30. I NOT LIKE BEING disturbed when I am busy working.
A) does not like being B) do not like being
C) have not like being D) No improvement needed
31. Since our banking sector is growing at a rapid pace, banks are opening MANY BRANCHES in small towns and business centers.
A) much branches B) numerous branch
C) numerical branches D) No improvement needed
Key With Explanations
1-C; When 'Since' is used as a preposition, see the sentence is in the Perfect Tense to show that the action started in the Past is still going on at the time of speaking.
2-A; Use 'Hard' to mean tough or a lot of something and 'Hardly' to mean 'little or not at all'. The words, 'stood first in the college' indicate that Ravi worked hard (a lot) for the exams.
3-B; When 'Nor' is used, the Helping Verb comes before the Subject (Nor did I + the Main Verb, sometimes optional).
4-D; If it is a habit with Vani, you can say, "Vani always watches TV''. But when her habit annoys you, then to express your disgust/ anger, you can also say, ''Vani is always watching TV''.
5-A; The word, "Concerned" has more than one meaning. Here 'Minister concerned' means the minister in charge of a ministry. But if you say Concerned Minister/ parents, it means 'worried' minister/parents.
10-B; When the comparison is between two persons or two things, use the Definite Article THE + Adjective in comparative form.
12-D; It is an expression from the Bible which means a person who habitually doubts everyone or everything.
13-B; Always use a 'Singular Noun + After + a Singular Noun' only like war after war.
14-C; It is a usage and so use always Many + A + Singular Noun + Verb in Singular, like 'many a student is a painter', 'many a singer is rich'.
15-B; When you go to school/ college as a student or as a teacher, do not use Articles before them. You can use Articles before those places in other cases.
16-B; The word, 'Regard' is a transitive verb. So after this, use a Noun or a Pronoun agreeing with the Subject in number and gender. As a Noun, Regard has a couple of meanings.
17-A; It is a fixed usage, so do not use Articles between. In other cases you can use Articles before the word, Car.
20-A; It is a fixed usage which means that it is very difficult for a person to give up his/her old habits.
21-C; When two Subjects are joined with the words, WITH or ALONG WITH, the verb must agree with the first Subject in number and Tense.
22-A; 'Twenty miles' is taken as a single item, a single Subject. Hence the Verb must also be Singular.
24-D; It is a fixed usage which means to balance both income and expenditure.
25-D. 26-B; Since 'My brother' is the Subject in Third Person Singular, the verb 'Hates' is suitable.
28-C; Use always,'Pray to God'.
29-C; Do not use Articles before the word, 'Town/village' when it is used to mean 'the home town' of a person.
Directions (1-38): Which one of the following phrases should replace the phrase underlined to make the sentence complete and grammatically correct. If you think that the sentence given as it is correct, mark 'no correction required' as your answer
1. My friends have convinced me withdraw my resignation.
1) in withdrawing me 2) for withdrawal of
3) to withdraw my 4) to withdraw mine
5) no correction required
2. The season being very favourable, Rahual seems to have been enjoyed the vacation.
1) have enjoyed 2) have been enjoy 3) be enjoyed
4) had been enjoyed 5) no correction required
3. His changed attitudes did not go well within his family.
1) had not gone well within 2) went not well within
3) could not go well into 4) did not go well with
5) no correction required
4. The boss says that every employee is entitled to all benefits from the late regulations.
1) underneath the later 2) below the latest 3) within the lately
4) under the latest 5) no correction required
5. As compared to the last year there has been a sharp rise in interest rates.
1) sharper rise of 2) as sharp a rise 3) sharp rises in
4) sharply rising 5) no correction required
6. Stocks worthy of rupees ten lakh were destroyed in the floods which occurred last year.
1) stocks worth of 2) stock worthy 3) stocks worth
4) stockings worthy of 5) no correction required
7. The minister had make up his mind about going on the world tour all alone.
1) made minds 2) make his mind 3) make up his minding
4) made up his mind 5) no correction
8. The committee has ruled out the possible raising taxes for this financial year.
1) possibly raised 2) possible rise of 3) possibility to raise
4) possibility of raising 5) no correction required
9. You delay in taking a decision conveys a negative impression.
1) you delay to take 2) if you delay taking
3) your delay in taking 4) to delay by taking
5) no correction required
10. During the meeting, the minister was feeling very asleepy today as he had not slept well the previous night
1) very asleep 2) very sleeping 3) very sleepy 4) very sleep 5) no correction required
11. These days mobile phones dominated the world of teenagers.
1) is dominant the world 2) has been dominated the world
3) has dominated the world 4) dominate the world
5) no correction required
12. It is predicted that oil reserves will finished by 2034
1) reserves are finished 2) reserves would finish 3) reserves have finish
4) reserves should finish 5) no correction required
13. The standard of English in many schools and colleges are highly uneven
1) are being uneven 2) are often uneven 3) is highly uneven
4) is highly unevenly 5) no correction required
14. Banks must be ensured that 18 percent of their loans is given to the agricultural sector.
1) are ensured 2) have to ensure 3) being ensure
4) should be ensured 5) no correction required
15. The majority of our employees in our all branches prefer our new office timings, which are convenience for them.
1) is convenient to 2) are convenience to 3) are convenient for
4) convenience 5) no correction required
16. Being injured,one of the migratory birds haven't flown south.
1) have not flown 2) doesn't flow 3) haven't flew
4) has not flown 5) no correction required
17. It is disappointment that the majority of businessmen who took loans last year have failed to repay them.
1) is disappointment in 2) is disappointing that 3) is to disappoint
4) has disappointed to 5) no correction required
18. Since most medical text books are quite expensive that many students do not have access to them in our college.
1) more expensive than 2) so expensive that 3) very expensive
4) too expensive for 5) no correction required
19. Thankful to a combined effort, the NDMA, Fire Department, and police people were able to save many flood victims.
1) thankful for their 2) thanking the 3) thanks to a
4) thanks through which 5) no correction required
20. My brother wants a start a new business but he didn't have any money.
1) thought to start 2) want to started 3) wanted to start
4) wants for start 5) no correction required
21. As Dr.Suneetha bought quite a number of books, she got a heavy discount.
1) quite number 2) many number 3) some number
4) heavy number 5) no correction required
22. Besides his wife, the CM's children and other relatives also attends the function.
1) also attended 2) too attended 3) also attending
4) attended with 5) no correction required
23. It is necessary that all of us take any steps to reduce pollution soon.
1) we should take every 2) we have taken no
3) take some 4) take little 5) no correction required
24. Most of the officers whom involved in the deal had previously worked for multinational banks.
1) involvement in 2) involved in 3) involving whom
4) whose involved 5) no correction required
25. As her neighbours have loud parties every night, my sister doesn't complain. She prefers to ignore the incident.
1) even though her neighbours 2) because her neighbours
3) despite of her neighbours 4) should her neighbours
5) no correction required
26. Depending on the location you locate, the cost of setting up a new industry have vary from Rs 10 lakh to 10 crores.
1) was varied between 2) is varied between 3) will vary from
4) could vary around 5) no correction required
27. Although Mohan was new to the art of Murals painting, he give it a go.
1) giving it going 2) gave go 3) gives his go
4) gave it a go 5) no correction required
28. When the crowd loved the wonderful performance by the young, upcoming singer, they gave her a stand ovation.
1) stood ovation 2) stand the ovation 3) standing ovation
4) stand coveted 5) no correction required
29. David was determined incompleting the project despite opposition from his detractors.
1) for completing 2) on completing 3) to complete
4) about completed 5) no correction required
30. On learning that his mother's health condition is very critical, ravi has reached home directly.
1) have reached 2) has reached home direct 3) would reach home direct
4) will reach home direct 5) no correction required
31. We shall eat some now and save some for tomorrow
1) some and save 2) now some and some save 3) some now or save some
4) now some and save some 5) no correction required
32. Sita waited to bated breath as the names of the top rankers were announced
1) with beated breath 2) as beated breath 3) along bated breath
4) with bated breath 5) no correction required
33. Occupying by many meetings, our union leader did not reach home till midnight.
1) occupied of 2) by occupying 3) while occupying
4) occupied with 5) no correction required
34. My father is a men of few words, is very intelligent and is respected by one and all.
1) men of few word 2) man of few words 3) man of few wordings
4) man with few words 5) no correction required
35. Tarun tried hardly and that led to his success.
1) tried hard 2) trying hard 3) tried a bit hardly
4) tried just hardly 5) no correction required
36. Sai Kumar failed in his attempts to disperse the mob before the miscreants sets the fire on the bus.
1) set fire to the bus 2) set the fire on to the bus 3) set the bus on fire
4) setting the bus on the fire 5) no correction required.
37. Since it was her engagement Yesterday, Sita dressed to kill.
1) dresses to kill 2) had dressed to kill 3) dressing to kill
4) dressed to killings 5) no correction required
38. Several of our projects have delayed because the equipment we had ordered was delivered late
1) had delayed 2) have been delayed 3) has been delayed
4) are delayed since 5) no correction required
39. Taruni was so scared on seeing the tiger that she shooked like a leaf.
1) shaked like a leaf 2) shook like a leaf 3) was shooking like a leaf
4) shook like a leaves 5) no correction required
KEY 1-2; 2-1; 3-4; 4-4; 5-5; 6-1; 7-4; 8-3; 9-3; 10-3; 11-4; 12-2; 13-3; 14-2; 15-3; 16-4; 17-2; 18-2; 19-3; 20-3; 21-5; 22-1; 23-3; 24-2; 25-1; 26-3; 27-4; 28-3; 29-3; 30-5; 31-5; 32-4; 33-4; 34-2; 35-1; 36-3; 37-5; 38-2; 39-2.