BRICS Youth Summit On 1 December 2020, the Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju attended the VIth BRICS Youth Summit and meeting of BRICS
US Air Quality Index
US Air Quality Index released on 30 November 2020. Pakistan's cultural capital Lahore topped the list of world's most polluted cities, whereas Delhi got the second rank.
Lahore reported a particulate matter (PM) rating of 423, whereas New Delhi came in second with a PM of 229.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency regards air quality satisfactory if the AQI is under 50.
Asians of the YEAR
The CEO of the world's largest vaccine manufacturer Serum Institute of India (SII) Adar Poonawalla is one among the six people named "Asians of the Year" by Singapore's leading daily, The Straits Times for their work in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
The five others in the list announced on 4 December 2020 include Chinese researcher Zhang Yongzhen, Major General Chen Wei (China ), Dr. Ryuichi Morishita (Japan), Ooi Eng Eong (Singapore) and South Korean businessman Seo Jung-jin.
International Sand Art Festival
9th edition of the International Sand Art Festival organised between 1-5 December at the Chandrabhaga Beach of Konark in Odisha’s Puri district.
This year, the main themes of the sculptures are ‘Environment’ and ‘Covid-19’. Sudarsan Pattnaik, worldrenowned sand artist and Padmashree Awardee, has been appointed as Chief Curator of the festival. Every year, the festival is celebrated with great fervour in the first week of December as part of the Konark Dance Festival.
Global Climate Change Performance Index
On 7 December 2020, the Global Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) was released in which India got 10th place.
The index took four categories like GHG emissions, Renewable Energy, Energy Use and Climate Policy.
In 2019, India got 9th rank. No countries were ranked in the top 3 Positions as no country performed well in all four categories to achieve a perfect score on the performance index. Sweden fared well by getting 4th rank.
CCPI developed by not-for-profit organisations Germanwatch and NewClimate Institute (Germany) together with the Climate Action Network (CAN International).
Global Terrorism Index 2020
India ranked 8th on the Global Terrorism Index 2020 announced by ‘The Institute for Economics & Peace’ in its report announced on 27 November 2020.
Afghanistan was the most affected by terrorism followed by Iraq and Nigeria.
The report reveals that the Taliban remains the most active terrorist group in Afghanistan.
The report also said that the COVID- 19 pandemic could present opportunities for terrorist organizations to consolidate and expand their operations and territory, as governments turn their focus from counter-terrorism operations to addressing the public health crisis.
'Person of the Year'
The U.S.A President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris were jointly named as the “Time magazine's 2020 Person of the Year" on 10 December 2020.
Time magazine mentioned Biden and Harris election broke gender and racial barriers together offered restoration and renewal in a single ticket.
Both Biden and Harris edged out frontline health care workers along with the nation’s leading infectious-disease expert, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the racial justice movement and President Trump for the distinction.
New Parliament Building
On 10 December 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the New Parliament Building.
This building construction, estimated to cost Rs. 971 crore, is expected to finish before the country's 75th Independence Day in 2022. PM Modi said that the new building is an intrinsic part of the vision of ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat’.
Tata Projects Ltd has been given the contract for the construction project of the new Parliament building.
Architect Bimal Patel said the triangular shape of a new building to be built over 64,500 square meters, the four-storey building will be triangular and its interiors will have three national symbols - the lotus, the peacock and the banyan tree - as its themes.
The new Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha halls will have increased seating capacities (888 and 384 seats respectively) in anticipation of an expanded Parliament. The seating inthe Lok Sabha hall can be expanded to 1,272 to host joint sessions.
The new Parliament building is part of the ‘Central Vista’, the power corridor of India, having a common central secretariat and revamped three-kmlong Rajpath, from the Rashtrapati Bhavan to the India Gate.
Fit India Cyclothon
Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju launched 2nd edition of Fit India Cyclothon on 7 December 2020.
The mega cycling event will run for 25 days till 31 December 2020.
The event will be held across the country in each district and citizens can participate by registering on Fit India website.
Mount Everest is taller
On 8 December 2020, the Nepal and China governments declared that the height of Mount Everest is 8,848.86 metres tall, about 86 centimetres more than the previous measurement.
According to the measurement done in 1954 by Survey of India, the height of Mount Everest was 8,848 metres.
Mount Everest is located in the collision and compression zone between the edges of the Indian plate and the Eurasian plate, where crustal movement is very active.
The Union Ministry of Health developed a digital platform, including an app CoWin, for real-time monitoring of Covid-19 vaccine delivery, recording data and to enable people to get themselves registered for vaccination.
Akash and Igla test-fired
The Indian Air Force carried out firing of the indigenously developed Akash missile system along with Russian short-range Igla missiles as part of a drill at air force station Suryalanka in Andhra Pradesh on 1 December 2020.
Both were engaged the Manoeuvrable Expendable Aerial Targets (MEAT) providing near realistic training to the combat crew.
India Mobile Congress 2020
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the virtual India Mobile Congress (IMC) 2020 through video conference on 8 December 2020. The theme for IMC 2020 was "Inclusive Innovation - Smart, Secure, Sustainable”.
The mobile congress aims to promote ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat’, ‘Digital Inclusivity’, and ‘Sustainable development, entrepreneurship & innovation’.
It also aims to drive foreign and local investments, encourage R&D in the telecom and emerging technology sectors.
Indian Navy and Russian Federation Navy participated in the ‘Passage Exercise (PASSEX)’ in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region (IOR) between 4-5 December 2020.
Agra Metro Project
On 7 December 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the phase I of the construction of Agra Metro project. The metro will ease the movement of about 2.5 million local residents. The Agra Metro project comprises of two corridors with a total length of 29.4 km.
Anti-cow slaughter bill
The Karnataka Prevention of Slaughter and Preservation of Cattle Bill-2020 was passed seeking a total ban on the slaughter of cows in the state.
The bill also intends to protect buffaloes and their calves less than 12 years of age. The bill passed by Karnataka
Assembly on 9 December 2020 also brings a stringent punishment to those who indulge in smuggling, illegal transportation, atrocities on cows and slaughtering them.
Octane Premium Petrol
On 1 December 2020, Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan launched India's first indigenously developed 100 Octane premium petrol.
Octane is environment-friendly fuel as one more step towards facilitating ease of living for the citizens.
Octane ratings are measures of fuel stability that increases engine efficiency. The high-octane premium grade petrol being marketed under the brand XP-100 will be made available in 10 cities across the country including the national capital in the first phase.
PM - WANI
On 9 December 2020, the Union Cabinet approved setting up of public WiFi networks across the nation. The WiFi will be provided through public data offices (PDOs) for which there will be no licence, registration or any other fees. The public WiFi is being rolled out as part of the Prime Minister WiFi Access Network Interface (PM- WANI).
International Day of Persons with Disabilities
The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is annually observed on 3rd December to promote the full and equal participation of persons with disabilities.
The Theme of the day for the year 2020 is 'Building back better: towards an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world by, for and with persons with disabilities'.
The day marks the resolve of the global community to respond to the challenges faced by people with disability.
A Global Awareness Raising Campaign “Tell our stories, enable our rights” is going on in social media channels, focusing on the impact of the pandemic on people living with disabilities.
World AIDS Day
World AIDS Day is being observed on 1st December every year. The theme for World AIDS Day 2020 is “Global solidarity, shared responsibility,"
Founded in 1988, World AIDS Day was the first-ever global health day.
The observation is an opportunity to show solidarity with the millions of people living with HIV worldwide. Most people do this by wearing an HIV awareness red ribbon on the day. The government of Madhya Pradesh aims to eliminate AIDS by 2030.
Global Teacher Prize
The government school teacher from Paritewadi, Maharashtra, Ranjitsinh Disale was conferred with the $ 1 million Global Teacher Prize on 3 December 2020.
He is best known for embedding QR codes in textbooks which were adopted by NCERT. He also worked towards eradicating teenage marriages in his village and promoting girls' education.
Ranjitsinh also declared to share half of his Rs 7.4 crore prize money with the rest of the nine finalists for the Global Teacher Prize to support the “incredible work” of the “change-makers”.
He also worked towards building peace between young people across conflict zones. He connects young people from India and Pakistan, Palestine and Israel, Iraq and Iran, and the US and North Korea through a ‘Let’s Cross the Borders’ project
Indian driver Jehan Daruvala created history when he became the first Indian to win a Formula 2 race during the Sakhir Grand Prix on 6 December 2020.
Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2020
On 7 December 2020, the Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2020 was conferred on Raj Kamal Jha, the writer and chief editor of The Indian Express for his book, “The City and the Sea”.
It is a novel based on the atrocious (Nirbhaya) case of sexual assault and murder, that brought India together in a moral frenzy.
The award was founded in 2018 by US-based publisher Peter Bundalo, the award serves as a platform to celebrate world peace, literature, art, education, and human rights.
Tagore Prize 2020 for Social Achievement was conferred to His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said, the late Sultan of Oman and The People of Oman and from India Sandip Soparrkar a renowned dancer-choreographer.
Time’s first-ever kid of the year
On 3 December 2020, Gitanjali Rao, the 15-year-old Indian-American a "brilliant" young scientist and inventor, has been named by TIME magazine as the first-ever 'Kid of the Year' for her "astonishing work" using technology to tackle issues ranging from contaminated drinking water to opioid addiction and cyberbullying.
She was selected from a field of more than 5,000 nominees as TIME's first-ever 'Kid of the Year'.
She stressed to create a global community of young innovators to solve problems the world over as her generation is facing many problems that they have never seen before.
‘Shameless' to ‘Oscar’
‘Shameless', the short film directed by Keith Gomes was selected as India's official entry at the 93rd Oscars in the 'Live Action Short Film' category on 28 November 2020.
Only 15 minutes short film has a theme of loss of human spirit due to technology.
1. Which month will be observed as "Gaurav Maah' (pride month) to honour the contributions of the armed forces and their veterans to our nation?
1) January 2021 2) February 2021 3) December 2020
4) March 2021 5) April 2021
2. Roch Marc Christian Kabore was re-elected as the president of…
1) Kuwait 2) Portugal 3) Burkina Faso 4) Iraq 5) Chile
3. Who is appointed as the new Secretary-General of the Lok Sabha?
1) Desh Deepak Verma
2) K.K. Venugopal
3) Utpal Kumar Singh
4) Taranjit Singh Sandhu
5) Mrs. Gaitri I. Kumar
4. "Indian Navy Combat Ready, Credible & Cohesive" is the theme of 2020 Indian Navy Day. Every year Indian Navy Day observed on......
1) 15 January 2) 8 October
3) 7 December 4) 4 December 5) 1 December
5. Which airport to be renamed as Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram Airport?
1) Lucknow 2) Delhi 3) Ayodhya 4) Varanasi 5) Kanpur
6. Which nation became second to plant a flag on the Moon?
1) India 2) Russia 3) China 4) Japan 5) UK
7. Government of India announced the third stimulus package of ………….for the “Mission COVID Suraksha- The Indian COVID-19 Vaccine Development Mission”.
1) Rs. 400 Crore 2) Rs. 900 Crore
3) Rs. 1200 Crore 4) Rs. 1800 Crore 5) Rs. 450 Crore
8. Which state is proposing to establish Raimona National Park ?
1) Karnataka 2) UP 3) Assam
4) Odisha 5) West Bengal
9. Which state launched the Mobile app ‘Thee’ for the benefit of the general public to reach out to the Fire and Rescue Services when in need?
1) Goa 2) Haryana 3) Tamil Nadu 4) UP 5) MP
10. Which is the first nation approved the Sale of Lab-created meat?
1) USA 2) UK 3) Singapore 4) Serbia 5) Spain
11. List of persons died and their related field is given. Wrong option is.
1) Diego Maradona-Football
2) Faqir Chand Kohli-Information Technology
3) Sean Connery-James Bond Actor
4) TN Krishnan- Veteran violin player
5) All of the above correct
12. Who was announced as the ambassador for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts’ (BAFTA) ‘Breakthrough Initiative’?
1) Amitab Bacchan
2) IlayaRaja 3) A.R. Rahman
4) S P Balasubramanyam
5) Akshay Kapoor
13. Kuldeep Handoo, the first Dronacharya awardee from the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir was appointed as the Ambassador of Fit India movement. He is a coach in which sport/game?
1) Wushu 2) Hockey
3) Foot Ball 4) Archery 5) Chess
14. Government of India set up a task force for preparing a roadmap on imparting………… in Mother Tongue under the chairmanship of Amit Khare, the Union Secretary of Higher Education
1) Legal education
2) Technical education
3) Soft skills
4) Physical education
5) Medical education
15. As per the new School Bag Policy 2020 proposed by the Education Ministry, the maximum weight of the schoolbags must not be more than ………of the student’s weight
1) 10% 2) 15% 3) 20% 4) 25% 5) 5%
16. “40 Years with Abdul Kalam - Untold Stories” written by……..
1) Kirpal Singh Ji 2) Meena Iyer
3) Anupam Kher 4) Sivathanu Pillai
5) Dr Pradeep Kumar Srivastava
17. The cyclone name ’Burevi’ suggested by which nation? The name ‘Burevi’ means black mangroves in the Dhivehi language.
1) India 2) Sri Lanka 3) Myanmar 4) Nepal 5) Maldives
18. Union Ministry of Ayush announced that the upcoming new campus of the National Institute of Naturopathy (NIN) will be called ‘Nisarg Gram’ located in..
1) Pune 2) Mumbai 3) Hyderabad 4) Lucknow 5) Chennai
19. Joe Biden, the USA president-elect named which Indian American as the next USA Surgeon General?
1) Kiran Ahuja 2) Puneet Talwar
3) Arun Majumdar 4) Rahul Gupta 5) Vivek Murthy
20. Who was appointed as the 27th Director General of Border Roads Organisation (BRO)?
1) Uday Shankar 2) PD Vaghela 3) Rajeev Chaudhary
4) PVG Menon 5) AK Gupta
21. On the eve of Indian Organ Donation Day observed on 27 November, in which city the nation’s first organ donation memorial was inaugurated?
1) Kochi 2) Dharwad
3) Nagpur 4) Bhiwandi 5) Jaipur
22. Which state named the newly-built Majerhat bridge as "Jai Hind" bridge to commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of Subhas Chandra Bose?
1) Sikkim 2) Arunachal Pradesh 3) West Bengal 4) Kerala 5) Meghalaya
23. The Indian Navy received the first of the four Poseidon 8I maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft from ………..
1) UK 2) Israel 3) France 4) Russia 5) USA
24. Who was elected as the chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus making her one of the most powerful US lawmakers in the 117th congress?
1) Kate Bedingfield 2) Jen Psaki
3) Pramila Jayapal 4) Neera Tanden
5) Ashley Etienne
25. First CEO of WHO (World Health Organization) Foundation is………………
1) Anil Soni
2) Saurabh Nanavati
3) Ajay Kumar Bhalla
4) Apurva Chandra
5) Hemant Khatri
1-3 2-3 3-3 4-4 5-3 6-3 7-2 8-3 9-3 10-3 11-5 12-3 13-1 14-2 15-1 16-4 17-5 18-1 19-5 20-3 21-5 22-3 23-5 24-3 25-1