Directions (Qs. 1 - 5): A sentence is given with a blank space, indicating that one word has been omitted from it. Select the word that closely fits within the blank, thereby making the sentence meaningful and grammatically correct.
1. Indian banks are showing growth in this quarter ........ the recession.
A) despite B) inspite C) respite D) dispite E) dispute
Explanation: The word “despite” means ‘without being affected by something/issue.’ As per the given statement, Indian banks are not affected by the recession.
2. Vultures keep the environment clean, by ........ on animal carcasses.
A) sleeping B) scavenging C) cleaning D) rubbing E) dancing
Explanation: The word “scavenging” means ‘to search for and collect unwanted food of animals or birds to feed on decaying flesh.’ Vultures keep the environment clean by eating decaying flesh of animals and birds.
3. The discovery of the giant planet has puzzled the astronomers, effectively throwing a ........ in planet formation theories. A) trench B) bunch C) wrench D) clinch E) drench
Explanation: The phrase ‘throwing a wrench’ means “to do something that prevents a plan or activity from succeeding.” As per the sentence, the planet formation theories formed by the astronomers failed because of the discovery of the giant planet.
4. Unemployment has been an important factor in the rise of populist parties that are now threatening social ........, democracy and the rule of law in the European countries.
A) hindrance B) abundance C) redundance D) coherence E) excellence
Explanation: The word “coherence” defines ‘the quality of being logical and consistent.’ As per the given statement, unemployment has become an important problem in maintaining social equality.
5. A report said that the number of natural disasters has increased ........ because we do not respect the environment and build unsafe cities.
A) fastly B) trendily C) friendly D) occasionally E) tremendously
Explanation: There is no such word ‘fastly’ present in the English language. The word “tremendously” means ‘to a very great extent.’ As per the given statement, the number of natural disasters has increased to a very great extent because of polluting the environment.
Directions (Qs. 6 - 10): In each of the following questions, a paragraph is given, containing two blanks. Four words follow the paragraph as options for the blanks. Choose the option with the correct combination of two words which can fit in the two blanks (In the same order) to make the paragraph coherent.
6. Managers play an important role in ........ complicated activities and ........ slackersAnd some creative people would never finish anything if they were left to their own devices.
A) coordinating, disciplining B) disciplining, collecting C) collecting, coordinating D) reducing, kicking E) bulking, slapping
Explanation: The word “coordinating” means ‘bringing the different elements of something complex into a harmonious and efficient relationship.’ The word “disciplining” means ‘training oneself to do something in a controlled and habitual way.’ As per the given statement, mangers play an important role in bringing the different types of people into a harmonious and efficient relationship with other colleagues to do their jobs in a controlled and habitual way.
7. New Delhi was ........ seriously by the recent earthquake, which measured 4.7 on the Richter ........
A) effected, range B) affected, scale C) taken, device D) shaken, range E) trembling, device
Explanation: A Richter scale is a numerical scale for expressing the magnitude of an earthquake based on seismograph oscillations. As per the given statement, New Delhi was seriously affected by the recent earthquake.
8. Despite globalization and the possibility cheaper ........, large countries like the United State and China have realised that they cannot afford to ........ on imports for vital industrial products.
A) exports, independent B) imports, independent C) imports, depend D) exports, realise E) cost, buy
Explanation: Cheaper imports are good for improving an economy. As per the sentence countries like the United State and China have realised that they cannot afford to depend on imports for vital industrial products they are importing goods at a cheaper price.
9. As a concept, outsourcing is no doubt ........ ground. But there are many who keep away from it, still. First, there is a ........ that outsourcing could adversely impact the quality of service.
A) biting, inspection B) perception, inspection C) depiction, perfection D) gaining, perception E) gaining, affection Explanation: The phrase “gaining ground” means ‘become more successful, popular, or accepted.’ The word “perception” defines ‘the way in which something is regarded, understood, or interpreted.’ As per the given statement, outsourcing is becoming popular, there are some adverse issues related to it.
10. Inflation has always remained a key ........ to measure the country’s economic growth. Over the past decade, we have also seen Indian politicians ........ the issue of inflation to increase their vote banks.
A) debate, create B) excuse, respond C) topic, abscond D) issue, abandon E) parameter, highlight
Explanation: In economics, ‘inflation’ is a parameter that refers to a general increase in the prices of goods and services in an economy. As per the sentence, the Indian politicians are highlighting the issue of inflation to increase their vote banks, over the years.
Directions (Qs. 11 - 14): In question below, a small paragraph is given with two words missing. You are given five options each containing a pair of words that can or cannot be filled in the blanks to make the paragraph contextually and grammatically correct. Identify the correct choice and mark the option accordingly.
11. Towards the end of the 16th century, groups of European painters and sculptors, ........ with the venality and artisanal aspects of the guild system, joined together into ........ of art which sought to promote the intellectual and creative aspects of producing art over that of their craft-based predecessors.
i. dissatisfied ii. academies iii. happy iv. enjoy v. group
A) i, ii B) iii, ii C) ii, iii D) i, iv E) v, iv
Explanation: The word “dissatisfied” means ‘not content or happy with something.’ The word “academy” refers to ‘a place of study or training in a special field. As per the sentence, groups of European painters and sculptors had not contended with the venality and artisanal aspects of the guild system, and they joined together as groups for training themselves.
12. Inequality occurs in many ........ only some of which are economic. And when we speak of economic inequality, again the reference is to an exceptionally large canvas, which must be ........ very severely in the interests of tractability.
i. phases ii. dimensions iii. available iv. restricted v. area
A) ii, iii B) ii, iv C) i, iii D) iii, v E) iv, i
Explanation: The word “dimension” refers to a construct whereby objects or individuals can be distinguished, whether its size, shape, kind, types, etc. The word “restricted” means ‘limited in extent, number, scope, or action.’ As per the given statement, there are different kinds of inequalities present in our society and particularly economic inequality has its adverse effects towards the public.
13. In the ........ of India’s economic boom, Indian Professional Service Firms (PSFs) from management consultancies and investment banks to advertising agencies and law firms are ........ to attract the best and the brightest talent.
i. midst ii. present iii. transition iv. competing v. focusing
A) ii, iii B) iii, i C) i, iv D) iv, v E) v, ii
Explanation: The word “midst” means ‘in the middle of (something).’ The word “competing” means ‘trying to be more successful than someone or something else.’ As per the given statement, In the middle of India’s economic boom, Indian Professional Service Firms are trying to be more successful than their rival companies.
14. Many people accept ........ corruption as a fact of life. But the causes might differ, however, whether corruption results from a need, a culture or simply from an ........ too tempting not to exploit, it influences the way we deal with it - or do not deal with it.
i. petty ii. pretty iii. choice iv. chance v. opportunity
A) i, ii B) ii, iii C) iii, iv D) i, v E) iv, v
Explanation: The word “petty” means ‘having less importance.’ The word “opportunity” means ‘chance.’ As per the given statement, many people accept corruption related to silly issues. But this type of petty corruption leads to the exploitation of the poor and vulnerable which is not good for the humanity.