Example 1 :
Siva starting from his house, goes 5 km in the East, then he turns to his left and goes 4 km. Finally he turns to his left and goes 5 km. Now how far is he from his house and in what direction?
From third position it is clear he is 4 km from his house and is in North direction.
Example 2 :
Suresh starting from his house, goes 4 km in the East, then he turns to his right and goes 3 km. What minimum distance will be covered by him to come back to his house?
Example 3 :
One morning after sunrise Juhi while going to school met Lalli at Boring road crossing. Lalli’s shadow was exactly to the right of Juhi. If they were face to face, which direction was Juhi facing?
Sol. In the morning sunrises in the east.
So in morning the shadow falls towards the west.
Now Lalli’s shadow falls to the right of the Juhi. Hence Juhi is facing South.
Example 4 :
Hema starting from her house walked 5 km to reach the crossing of Palace. In which direction she was going, a road opposite to this direction goes to Hospital. The road to the right goes to station. If the road which goes to station is just opposite to the road which IT-Park, then in which direction to Hema is the road which goes to IT-Park?
From II it is clear that the road which goes to IT-Park is left to Hema.
1. One morning Udai and Vishal were talking to each other face to face at a crossing. If Vishal’s shadow was exactly tothe left of Udai, which direction was Udai facing?
2. If South-East becomes North, North-East becomes West and so on. What will West become?
It is clear from the diagrams that new name of West will become South-East.
3. A man walks 5 km toward south and then turns to the right. After walking 3 km he turns to the left and walks 5km. Now in which direction is he from the starting place?
Hence required direction is South-West.
Directions (Q. 4-7) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
• Six flats on a floor in two rows facing North and South are allotted to P, Q, R, S, T and U.
• Q gets a North facing flat and is not next to S.
• S and U get diagonally opposite flats.
• R next to U, gets a south facing flat and T gets North facing flat.
4. If the flats of P and T are interchanged then whose flat will be next to that of U?
Interchanging flats of P and T
Hence flat R will be next to U.
5. Which of the following combination get south facing flats?
Hence URP flat combination get south facing flats.
6. The flats of which of the other pair than SU, is diagonally opposite to each other?
Hence QP is diagonally opposite to each other.
7. Whose flat is between Q and S?
Hence flat T is between Q and S.
Directions (Q. 8-11) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
Point W is 7m towards the West of point X. Point X is 3m towards the North of point Y. Point Z is 4m towards West of point Y.
8. A person walks 3m towards North from point Z and reaches point P . How far and towards which direction will he have to walk to reach point W ?
Ans: 3m towards West
∴ 3m towards West.
9. If a person walks 3m towards South from point W and reaches point Q, which of the following 2 points would fall in straight line including Q
Ans: Q, Y, Z
10. What is the position of X with respect to P
11. Y is in the East of X which is in the North of Z. If P is in the South of Z, then in which direction of Y, is P?
P is in South-West of Y.
12. Rahul put his timepiece on the table in such a way that at 6 P.M. hour hand points to North. In which direction the
minute hand will point at 9.15 P.M. ?
At 9.15 P.M., the minute hand will point towards west.
13. Vivek travelled 12kms West, then he turned left and travelled 8kms. Then he turned left and travelled 12kms. How far was Vivek from starting point ?
14. A person going 40m to the south of his house. Then he turned left and go 20m and turn to north and walk 30m then start walking to his house. In which direction he was walking now ?
Ans: North West
... North West
Directions (Q. 15-16) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
Dev, Kumar, Nilesh, Ankur and Pintu are standing facing to the North in a playground such as given below:
• Kumar is at 40 m to the right of Ankur.
• Dev is are 60 m in the south of Kumar.
• Nilesh is at a distance of 25 m in the west of Ankur.
• Pintu is at a distance of 90 m in the North of Dev.
15. Which one is in the North-East of the person who is to the left of Kumar?
Ankur is in the left of Kumar. Hence Pintu is in North-East of Ankur.
16. If a boy starting from Nilesh, met to Ankur and then to Kumar and after this he to Dev and then to Pintu and whole the time he walked in a straight line, then how much total distance did he cover?
Ans: 215 m
Explanation: Required distance = 25m + 40m + 60m + 90m
Required distance = 215m
Directions (Q. 17-19) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
Each of the following questions is based on the following information:
• A # B means B is at 1 metre to the right of A.
• A $ B means B is at 1 metre to the North of A.
• A * B means B is at 1 metre to the left of A.
• A @ B means B is at 1 metre to the south of A.
• In each question first person from the left is facing North.
17. According to X @ B * P, P is in which direction with respect to X?
According to X @ B * P
Hence P is in South-West of X.
18. According to M # N $ T, T is in which direction with respect to M?
According to M # N $ T
Hence T is in the North-East of M.
19. According to P # R $ A * U, in which direction is U with respect to P?
According to P # R $ A * U
Hence U is in North direction with respect to P.
Directions (Q. 20-22) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
P is 15m to the west of Q. R is 13m to the south of Q and 5m to the east of S. T is 20m to the north of S.T is 10m to the east of U.
20. In which direction U with respect to P
21. If A is 7m to the west of T, then which of the following will be nearest point to A.
22. In which direction R with respect to P
Ans: South east
∴ South east
Directions (Q. 23-24) : Read the following information carefully and answer the questions that follows :
A walked 20m towards south and then took a left turn and walked 40m. Again he took left turn and walked 15m. Finally he turned right and walked 10m and stopped.
23. How far is he from starting point ?
[(50)2 + (5)2]1/2 = 50.25
24. In which direction A is now facing
A is facing East direction.