Questions & Answers
Expected questions & answers from the unit:
I. Read the following dialogues from the play "The Dear Departed".
Mrs. Jordan: You know, father, it's quite time you came to live with us again. We'd make you very comfortable.
Mrs. Slater: No, he's not been with us as long as he was with you.
Mrs. Jordan: I may be wrong, but I don't think father will fancy living on with you after what's happened today.
Abel: It seems to me that neither of you has any cause to feel proud about the way you've treated me.
Mrs. Slater: If I've done anything wrong. I'm sure I'm sorry for it.
Mrs. Jordon: And I can't say more that, too.
Abel: It's a bit late to say it now. Neither of you cared to put up with me.
Mrs. Slater and Mrs Jordon: No, no, father.
Abel: Are, you both say that because of what I've told you about leaving my money.
Well, since you don't want me I'll go to someone that does.
Now choose the correct answer from the options. 4 × 1 = 4
1. Why did Abel want to go to some one who look after him? ( )
a) His, daughters are cruel
b) His daughters scold him
c) Daughters never show any affection
d) Daughters make him happy
2. ''I don't think father will fancy living on with you " means ( )
a) Father feel happy to stay with her
b) Father is not ready to stay with her
c) Father don't have any idea
d) Father don't like to stay anyone
3. Abel is ready to stay with someone - ( )
a) Who show affection on him b) Who give him property
c) Who is obedient with him d) Who has polite behaviour
4. ''It seems to me that neither of you..................'' who are referred here.
a) Amelia and Henry b) Elizabeth and Ben
c) Henry and Ben d) Amelia and Elizabeth
Answer in one or two sentences in your own words
5. Why didn't Mr. Abel stay anyone of his daughters?
6. What do you think about Mrs. Jordan and Mrs. Slater characters?
7. What do you do it your were in the place of Abel?
Read the Passage given below
On the afternoon of that day, a potter had arrived home after a hard day's work. He was tired and thirsty. He had asked his wife for some palm - wine. The more he drank, the better he felt. When he had drunk all the wine he no longer felt tired. When the storm began the potter suddenly remembered that he had left his donkey tied under a tree. He rushed out of his hut to take the animal into the stable.
II. Now, Choose the correct answer from the options given below. 3 × 1 = 3
1. The potter was tired and thirsty because ( )
a) He worked hard
b) He run for a long way
c) He spent lot of time for searching of his donkey
d) He is sick
2. The potter drunk all the wine to ( )
a) Overcome his anxiety b) Overcome his tiredness
c) Overcome his loneliness d) Overcome his fear
3. When the storm began the potter remembered ( )
a) About his pots b) About his donkey
c) About his wife d) About his clothes
Answer the following question in one or two sentences. 2 × 1 = 2
4. What made the potter to search the donkey?
I. 1) c 2) b 3) a 4) d
5) Because nobody show any affection on father and always fascinated towards his property only.
6) Both are selfish and property is more important than human relations.
7) If I were in the place of Abel I will try to teach a lesson to my daughters and
try to change their behaviour towards family relations.
II. 1) a 2) b 3) b
4) The Potter asked his wife some palm-wine to overcome his tiredness. He drank more and more then he remembered that he had forgotten to bring the donkey back.